My Dr just told me I need to turn...

VEGAN. I have health problems and I dont know anything about what to eat as a Vegan.

Help!

Nickcole23

Asked by Nickcole23 at 9:41 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You really should see a nutritionist about that.

Why does he want you to be vegan? I found that it's too difficult for me to eat that way - no animal products whatsoever (no milk, eggs, honey).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with craftingmama about the nutritionist!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:45 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have a bad gallbladder. Was in accident where most of my small intestine was removed. A lot of foods are making me sick. After 2 years of different opinions and hospital visits, he said to try this.
    Nickcole23

Comment by Nickcole23 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Interesting. I know when my mom had gallbladder issues that anything high in fat would make it flare up. But vegan does not necessarily equal healthy - most potato chips are vegan.

I definitely reiterate going to see a nutritionist if you're having digestive issues.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:48 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I've heard a lot of people going vegan for health reasons. If your dr knows anything about that, then he should be providing you with resources on how to do it. It's not as simple as just not eating eggs anymore ya know? I agree w/ ask for a referral to a nutritionist
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Eating Vegan can be great for your health, if you do it properly. It is SUPER hard, though, especially if you're used to having cow's milk daily, cheese, etc. Talk to the nutritionist, and I'm sure they can help you come up with a healthy diet that is doable for YOU. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Im Lactose intolerant so I have not have Milk or cheese in years. I also am allergic to eggs since I was 10. I haven't eaten Fast food in over 5 years, so looks like meat is really the only thing that would change. And I LOVE meat.
    Nickcole23

Comment by Nickcole23 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 16, 2011

• your doctor sounds like an idiot. just cut down on fats, carbs and sugars. especially late night sugars!
    triciabc21

Answer by triciabc21 at 2:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well I have been doing it now for 4 days and I feel so much better. I really didn't have to change my eating all that much. I don't eat after 4pm anyways and I do not eat sweets.
    Nickcole23

Comment by Nickcole23 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on May. 17, 2011