Work tracking emails?

I have Microsoft office through work. Can my work see my emails once they're deleted or even when they haven't been deleted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Technology

• On a work computer or home computer?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:49 AM on May. 16, 2011

• from what i'm hearing on the news they are able to do everything.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:50 AM on May. 16, 2011

• it's from a work computer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 AM on May. 16, 2011

• If you work at an office or are on their server (no matter the location) they can see it. All someone from tech has to do is set it up to authorize other users and they can see your emails exactly as you do. I know of two ways they can get in since my boss had me authorized to help her stay organized. At my old job we had some get fired for failing to follow company policy, despite multiple warnings.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:00 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i know someone who is always monitored at his work so he cant even say swear words through chat or even naughty bathroom words or else some security device will pick up on it, they used the chat for work purposes too. My stepdad knows how to look at deleted emails but i cant for the life of me figure out how he does it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:15 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My husband co-workers have been FIRED for using the company computer to browses sites like: facebook, twitter, cafemom, youtube, etc. Basically doing things that are NOT work related. I'm sure the tech department knows exactly what sites you have visited and how much of your time at work is spent visiting those sites. If you are using company email then yes I'm sure they can see exactly what the email is even if you delete it. I'm sure they use a form automatic blind carbon copy. I use a email service zilladog for my kids. I get automatic blind copies of their incoming and outgoing mail. My kids do NOT know I get these things. If you are using a personal email like google, yahoo, etc while at work I doubt they can see the content, but they do know you are checking it because I'm sure they are tracking what sites you visit.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:23 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Deleting something on your computer does not delete it off the server. Additionally, they can monitor your computer and know that you've deleted something, or depending on what they do, even see what you are doing as you do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sure they can!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• that must be stressful :(
    but it might be a violation of privacy on their part unless they had reason to investigate
    if you message me your work name i can help you research the answer

my SO said some companies scan emails to see if theres any viruses and n the military there are people who scan emails for key words
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 1:34 PM on May. 17, 2011