Is it narcissism or some other word?

Not that I necessarily need to know - I was just wondering if this type of behavior is part of a real personality disorder? The kind of people who snipe at you, give you backwards-compliments, think ridicule and put-downs are acceptable social skills - you know like for example; they meet someone for the first time and their only assessment of them is to proclaim their waist size (out loud) as a generalized impression of this new person, "Hey did you meet Joe's wife; she's HUGE" (not " She's nice and seems really smart") or they actually ask people questions like "which specialty shop do you buy *your size from?" (instead of "wow, that's a nice dress where can I find one like it?")

Is the word narcissism or something else? Of course, I'm wondering if narcissism is marked by the idea that you're superior to everyone else - does that also mean that your view in general has to be one of negativism towards others to accomplish your own worth? Or is there another disorder that could describe this type of behavior?
(spawned from another question)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I think the word you're searching for is asshole.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Narcissism is generally more of a "I'm better than you" or "I know more than you" kind of attitude. The examples you gave wouldn't really be narcissism. Narcissism would be more "No, that's not how you do it. Let me do it/show you how" or "I'm the smartest person in this room" kind of thing.

I don't know the word for the examples you gave, but I do like bishopblack's less technical term of asshole for it. :D
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:06 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Bishopblack took the words right out of my mouth!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:10 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Yep asshole's the word...
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 11:16 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Inconsiderate. I don't think it's a disorder though.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Narcissism is a complex personality disorder that involves a lot more than just trying to appear superior. Narcissists have no empathy, they are blamers and manipulators, their souls are empty, they mirror whatever they see emotionally in front of them because they really don't know how to feel. They hate themselves because they feel empty. They will walk over anyone to get to the top. They tend to monopolize conversations and turn those conversations to themselves. They can be charismatic and brilliant but still empty. People don't have to have PD's to be cruel, rude or unfeeling. The person you are speaking of seems to be immature and a little mean, but not necessarily a narcissist.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 4:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• narcissism? i think this person is the exact OPPOSITE
    these type of people put others down because that's how they feel inside, down and not happy with their own self
    try to help this person if you can
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 5:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Not sure the technical name, but here we call it craigsvilleitis. Liz4Life I would welcome suggestions on helping that type of person. What I've found with them is that no matter how much I try to make that person feel better about themselves, in hopes they won't feel the need to pick on others, their negativity is so ingrained that they cannot see or grow past it. It's sad for them, as if they have nothing else in their lives that gives them self worth.
    L1L2

Answer by L1L2 at 8:56 PM on May. 16, 2011