How to store FROSTED sugar cookies

Well, I'm not having much luck with replies in my other groups, so thought I'd try here:

Does anyone know if there is anything I could buy that I could store my frosted sugar cookies in? OR is there any way I can store them without them getting smushed?

I think I layered them last year in a diposable casserole pan with wax paper in between, but I can't remember! Ideally, I'd love to find a tiered plastic container.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm NOT asking about freezing them. I want to know how to store them AFTER they're baked and frosted.

thanks!

NovaChk

Asked by NovaChk at 12:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (-17 Credits)
  • I would do it one of 2 ways. Either take suran wrap and just carefully wrap them in that and store in a ziplock bag OR you could just store them in a ziplock and carefully let out the air. Either one would work just fine as long as your not storing them forever.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I store them a couple of ways. If I am giving some to someone (say, a dozen to the teacher), I put one layer on a paper plate, then carefully set anymore (usually about 6-9 fit in one layer, so another 3-6) on top of those kind of off center of the bottom layer (you know, like half the cookie on one cookie and the other half of the cookie on another cookie), then slide the plate into a gallon size storage bag. This gives me the plate to hold so they don't slide around and get smushed when I am carrying them. To store them at home, I usually either put them in one of those disposable foil pans, with wax paper between the layers and aluminum foil over the top, or I stick them in a storage bag on the counter, since all we have to do is open the bag, take out a cookie and seal it again.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Let them air dry a bit so the tops aren't sticky. I'd put them in a regular cookie container or tin with waxed paper between the layers.

Answer by Bmat at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• You can layer them once the icing is set with waxed paper, but don't do too many layers or the weight of them will ruin the icing. If you have a cookie rack, you can put waxed paper on the rack (to keep them from drying out) and cover them with a tea towel as well, if it's for a day or two. Longer than that and you will need some type of airtight container. Ziplocs work well...you can do a couple layers in each gallon sized bag.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I forgot one! You can also put them on a platter, single layer, and cover with Press n Seal. This is what I did last year...I bought several cute Christmas themed platters at the store and used them for our cookie exchange, covering with the Press n Seal. Worked like a charm.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If you let them sit until the frosting is dry you can layer them in any container that you choose. I have always found tins to be the best place to store my cookies.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My mom always used mens shirt boxes from the department store lined with waxed paper.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008