How can you be a supportive wife in getting your husband to quit smoking?

My husband has been lying to me for the past year that he has quit but resently I have found the truth. He owns a hookah bar restaurant so its so easy for him smoke and hide it. He keeps promising me that he will quit one day when theres a good enough reason. He cant breath very well, hes 37, we have one kid, and I want to have another but we can't because his fertility is so low. Help! What can I do. My fertility is good cuz I'm 22 and healthy. I'm so mad at him.

bethiepaige

Asked by bethiepaige at 1:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Health

• I just recently quit smoking. My husband bugged me for months to quit, but I didnt do it for him. I did it for ME! I came to the realization that smoking could kill me and I wouldnt be around for my children as they got older.

Let your husband knowhow important it is for him to be healthy for not only hisself, but for you and your child as well. Ask him to be open and honest with you. If he smokes, blowing up at him wont make him stop. (My grandmother said "You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.") I know it is hard, but habits are hard to break. Make sure he knows you are supportive... Good Luck TTC!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 12:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I'm a smoker. Quitting's so easy! I've done it a million times. lol... seriously, all the nagging in the world is not going to do a damn thing. Just be supportive and let him know when he's ready to quit, you are with him 110%
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Just basically be supportive. If you get mad at him it's only going to make him want to go smoke another cig. If he's trying tell him how proud you are so he feels good about himself. But you have to remmber they have to want to do it for themselves.
    I've been dealing with this with my fiance and so far he hasn't gotten very far. I've just learned to be patient.
    starbucks_mama

Answer by starbucks_mama at 2:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2008