My daughter has had 103+ fever for more than five days, what could it be? Doctors dont know what could be causing that. She doesnt have any other symptoms.

My four year old girl has had a constant fever of 103+ for the past five days. I have been giving her warm baths and also alternated tylenol and motrin. It does help to bring the fever down but it comes back in less than four hours. I have taken her to two different clinics and they cant find what could be wrong with her. Blood work tested negative. No infections at all. They also did a urine test and was also negative. What could be wrong with my baby? Its not normal to have fever for too long. I will be taking her to another clininc today too. Hopefully they'll be able to help me.

kaylana34

Asked by kaylana34 at 10:22 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find a childrens hospital and take her to the ER there.

Answer by gemgem at 10:23 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with gem gem, take her to a pediatric ER! This is not normal in anyway shape or form!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Take her to the ER, it does sound like it's viral. There are a number of viruses where the only symptom is a high fever.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My 4-year-old DD just recovered from a bout of that. Our Dr. said it was viral. Her only symptom (along with a tummy ache) was the 104 degree temp for a couple of days. I kept cool cloths on her and gave her COOL (not warm) baths. I also alternated the advil/tylenol and kept feeding her ice chips and popsicles. That fever was scary though! G'luck mom!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:33 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Oops -- fever was 103 -- not 104 (THANK GOD).
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:34 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Stop giving her Tylenol or motrin unless you have had her vaccinated recently. Fevers are a normal immune response and if u are lowering it with meds you are handicapping her ability to fight off any normally acquired virus or bacteria. Our bodies will not sabotage themselves by frying our brains with a too high fever. That would only happen if there were an outside force causing it to happen, such as a poisoning or excessive heat. I give those things only as a comfort measure when my kids need sleep, but I try to give their immune systems a fighting chance. In the meantime, just make sure she is staying hydrated, because that is the biggest problem with fevers.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:39 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Just putting it out there, 107 + is where fever is something to really worry about doing damage, so, it's at 103 which is only a degree abouve where docs recommend starting meds...so, you can not worry so much on that. But, baths should be lukewarm and the alternating meds is good. Plenty fluids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:42 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My niece had this a couple of years ago and had she not been taken to the local children's hospital, it would have not have been properly diagnosed....

http://www.medicinenet.com/kawasaki_disease/article.htm

and she did not have all of the symptoms
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 2:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• my dd gets them too, it was either ear infections or roseola, if its roseola she will get a rash by tomorrow
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would stop giving her fever reducers and give her body a few days to run the fever. It could be that because you keep fighting her immune system response that your prolonging and dragging out a viral infection. If after a few days it doesn't clear up, I would take her to another doctor and insist on more tests.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:12 PM on May. 16, 2011