Whats a good age difference to have between your kids?

My SO says five years because thats what him and his sister were but they arn't close at all really. Me and my brother are a year and 9 months apart to the day and really close, and so are the two I have now a year and 9 months. I'm ready for another baby even know my youngest isn't a year yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mother always said 18 mo. or 3 years, but not in-between. 2 - 2 1/2 years, the most popular, is the worst (for Mom and for the 2-yr old). My brother and I were 3 years apart, and we were close enough in years to be close; far enough apart to not be jealous or competitive. I've not doubt, however, that any number of siblings could refute that by personal experience, but it's a good rule of thumb, I think.
    jcriss

Answer by jcriss at 10:56 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Whatever works best for you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i waited for three years with my oldest two and two years between my middle and last. i've only got three
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:30 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Theres really no perfect age that is going to make them close or not. My first 3 were pretty close together and the first two are best friends, and the 3rd really isnt friends with the first 2. He tolerates them. After baby 3 I had baby #4 when he was 6, and again not all that close but they get along. Baby #5 is 4 yrs apart from baby #4 and they are close and get along. My oldest whose 21 and my baby girl whose 6 get along and are close.

Now for me personally 4 yrs was best simply because one was in preschool and I could devote more time to the baby.

Answer by gemgem at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2011

• 3 years, long enough to get out of diapers and away from bottles.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2011

• 15 months
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:29 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My two are 26 months apart, and they get along quite well so far. That may change as they age, I don't know. My sister and I were nearly four years apart, and we didn't have that much in common during many parts of our youth, and did not usually get along very well.

Some of that is due to other issues, though.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:29 AM on May. 16, 2011

• 4 years
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:30 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I like closer age differences....my older two are 19 months older than my third, and I love that age difference. Now my older two are almost 5 years older than my 4th, and my third is 3 1/2 years older than him, and I am worried about how close they will be once he gets older (he's only 4 months old right now, so of course the girls are obsessed with him, but I worry about when he gets to be around 5 and the others are 10, 10, and almost 9, ya know)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:30 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My two are 4 yr, 8 mo apart. I think it is too much time apart. My sister and I are 5 1/2 yr apart and we never got along, and we still are not close.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2011