• In the Spotlight:

potty train

when do i potty train my baby is 14 months and how do i do it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wait until he or she shows signs of being ready. mine is two years old and not ready. If they are not ready to start, you will only be causing yourself a lot of frustration.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 1:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My theory is, when they can walk, it's time to start.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• DD is 17 months. We started around 14 months and she was doing really well. Then we introduced pull ups for when we weren't home. It was a huge set back. But she is figuring it out again.

I would buy a little potty for them. I like the pants off method. I would start by putting DD on the potty about once an hour and as soon as she woke up. At 14m babies usually have control over their bodies and wont go until they wake up. DD wouldn't stay on long enough to go at first. So I give her a little cracker and as long as she stays on the potty, she can keep it. Sometimes she will give it back so she can get up. lol. Also, make a note of what time they go to the. This way you can really watch them during those times. If they start going, put them on the potty. It can be a little messy but DD figured it out pretty quick.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Teaching DD to poo on the potty was much easier then pee. I think because there is more effort. lol. At first, I would watch her and notice that she was starting to poo and put her on the potty. Eventually, she would find me and make eye contact with a funny little face.

Potty training this early does take a little longer and requires more effort. But it is so much better int he long run. I don't remember the last time I changed a dirty diaper! Just pee diapers occassionally.
    jcsscfam5

• I agree w/the 2 PPs....DH went out and bought DD a pot for her 1st birthday...I started her to sitting on the potty the next day....I left it in the bathroom and let her run around naked...it was tough @ first....but then she'd start disappearing and then I'd hear the potty sing!!! I'd praise her and give her a treat which, in turn, made her want to go even more!!!
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2008