Has anyone ever had an older child who was in a bad relationship?

Emotionally or physically abusive? How did it affect you and how did you cope?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:33 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest son just ended a bad relationship. The girl was actively trying to get pregnant and he ended up catching her in bed with someone else. She was a drug addict as it turned out and when we laid down the law he had no choice but to really start breaking it off with her. She stole his sister HTC phone, his clothes, and a TV. She was completely white trash.

I handled it by telling him she would never be welcome in my home. Not. Ever. He could see her all he wanted to but as far as I was concerned she was trash and trash belongs on the curb not in my home. He protested of course, but in the end when he saw not just me, but his sister, and grandparents agreed he knew she had to go.

Answer by gemgem at 10:35 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My adult daughter once got involved with a married man, she unfortunately fell in love with him and was very hurt by this man emotionally, but as the relationship went along I told her this would happen and when it did, I was there to pick up the pieces.
    It affected me tremendously because I saw the train before it hit, but no one learns from others mistakes, she was a better and wiser woman for it and eventually found happiness with someone who truly deserved her.

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son married an 18 year old girl with some huge emotional problems along with father issues. He wa 24 when they got married so there wasn’t a whole lot I could do to stop it. I did express my concerns about the age differences, but bottom line was my support was always there for him. He knew I didn’t want this marriage but it was his life.
    It’s so hard on the parents because we can see the train wreck before our children do, yet we are pretty much helpless in avoiding the wreck.
    You just try to be there for them when they need you, but not to the point that you’re enabling them.
    Carolee1

Answer by Carolee1 at 9:45 AM on May. 27, 2011

• This was not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship per say, but a male/female best friend relationship which over time Austin, the friend, starting taking his anger out on my dd over things. He punched her so hard in the arm that it turned black & blue and I went postal on him next time he showed up in my driveway. I was outside before he could get out of the car. My daughter with a black & blue BRUISE from this kid??? You better believe he was shaking when he left....he accidentally put his car in forward instead of reverse actually,LOL. Anyway, I called his mom, and then his parents jumped all over him and he never ever touched her again. That made me very, very, VERY angry. I mean...he thought bcz they were best buds he could just punch on her when something else made him angry. NO WAY. I hope we taught him a lesson. I think so.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011