Munchousen (sp) by proxy

I know I didn't spell that right..sorry. Have you heard of this? Met anyone who had it? I know a girl who claims her dd has every disease known to man. This girl is a habitual liar. Her dd is nine and so far has had Autism, Lupus, allergies so severe that they required hospitlization, some sort of skin disease, some sort of bone disease, a kidney problem, possible diabetes,hearing problems, glaucoma, asthma, and who knows what else. She is constantly posting on FB about what horrible things her dd is going through.

I posted something about asking for advice on finding clothes to fit my dd and she gushed on and on (took three comment sections) about her dd being small. I have met her dd....she is no where near small. If someone posts that their kid is sick she comments about how it is no where near as bad as her situation.

It really gets old. I seriously get tired of seeing it all. I know the easy thing would be to delete her...but she is a family friend and honestly it is like some sort of sick fascination to see what she will post next.

I think she needs serious help. When we were young she always had something wrong with her. She had supposedly had to have a hysterectomy at 15....but somehow got pregnant at 16. Since then she has "had" at least two more hysterectomies.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:45 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Health

• Either way...she sounds like a attention whore nutcase.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on May. 16, 2011

• If she hasn't actually hurt the daughter or put her through stuff only talked about it, it may not be Münchhausen Syndrome By Proxy...most of those parents do stuff to the kids to intentionally to put them in the spotlight.
    BradenIsMySon

• They live in another country now so all I know is what she is posting on FB. But I just don't think this is normal at all.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on May. 16, 2011

• To add: If she truly was taking her daughter in for all of those tests...the docs would have her admitted already for this disease as it is child abuse.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

• She either has it and WILL be caught or is a FB liar for attention only and won't be stopped. Sick, sad, twisted woman.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 AM on May. 16, 2011

• She has some issues and I feel bad for her DD having to grow up with a mother like that.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I have a family member who is constantly having medical tests run on her daughter and has said on different occasions that she had various genetic disorders and cancers. Before she had a kid to do this to, it was her who constantly had imaginary health problems. None of her daughter's other caretakers (ex husband or grandparents) have seen ANY health issues. But she still is constantly bringing her to the hospital and the docs are more than happy to poke her and prick her and perform other invasive procedures on her, I'm sure at a good profit. I think it is abuse, and other people have reported the situation and their concerns to CPS. Since the doctors involved are all asserting that there are health issues (although they can't say what they are exactly) CPS can't call it abuse. I think it is disgusting that this little girl is basically being tortured so her docs can make money and her mom can get attention.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:27 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My step-daughter's mother actually had my step-daughter and her other son taken away from her and placed into foster care because she (the mother) has this. She kidnapped my step-daughter, took her to 3 hospitals in 2 states within 36 hours trying to have the doctors inject my step-daughter with insulin, saying she has diabetes (she does not). The mother mentally, physically and sexually abused my step-daugther and my husband and I now have full custody. The mother's rights have been suspended. If you suspect this, get in touch with the authorities. It is a serious issue.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 11:53 AM on May. 16, 2011