Does anyone can their own food?

I'd love to get started this summer, but don't have a clue where to begin.

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 10:46 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I do. I have the Ball Complete Book of Preserving, plus you can find tons of recipes online. When you're first starting out, water bath canning is the easiest. You can do jams, jellies, applesauce, pickles, tomato sauce and other high acid foods in a water bath canner. If you want to can meat, milk, certain vegetables & other low-acid foods, you'll need a pressure canner (NOT a pressure cooker - two very different things). If you get the Ball book, it will explain to you all the details regarding what equipment/accessories you will need, plus give you step-by-step instructions and many recipes to try.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The Ball Blue Book is my canning bible. Do your research because your equipment depends on what you are canning. High acid foods just require a waterbath canner but for low acid you will need a pressure canner.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:51 AM on May. 16, 2011

• The pickyourown.org website is an amazing help - I suggest starting there just to get the jist of canning.
    Anonymous

• I do, and I learned by using the books that came with the equipment.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:48 AM on May. 16, 2011

• the canners bible for generations. I need to get a new one. http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/258.php?pid=292&product=304

daps

Answer by daps at 10:49 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I semi-can. I have a Food Saver, and the jar sealers. I put food in the jar, seal it in with the lid. Refrigerated foods still have to be refrigerated (or frozen) but are airtight and last MUCH longer.

I would like to can - for real - too, so I'm going to watch this answer thread!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:50 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I do! You can do research online or use the Ball Blue Book Guide to Canning(I think that's the title!) as a guideline. I love home-canned things!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2011