How can we stop ou 2-yr old boy from hitting, kicking and pinching us when he doesn't want to do what he must (like bath/bed)?

Our son is "a strong-willed" child. He gets absolutely crazy and hits and screams and pinches our faces when we're trying to put him to bed, or change his diaper, or get him in (or out) of the bath. We are exhausted, frustrated, and angry. Help! Time out is not really working well. Other times, he is a delight.

jcriss

Asked by jcriss at 10:49 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just return the favor...i have a friend that hers started biting and once she bit him back he never done it again...maybe the same tactic will work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 16, 2011

• When he starts lashing out physically I would hold him in a bear hug until he settles down. Then tell him that what he is doing hurts. I don't advocate pinching back....but sometimes it takes them seeing for themselves that it hurts before they stop.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:53 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I pinched and bit back and it worked for us. It has also worked for my friends and their children. Sometimes you have to show a child that what they are doing hurts and they will stop b/c they don't like being hurt.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on May. 16, 2011