Do you respect the President? (read the question before answering, please)

Do you respect the office of the President of the United States of America, regardless of who is in it?

Can you respect the office of the President of the United States of America even if you don't respect/like/agree with the current president?

Can and do you show respect to the president when you don't respect him, only the office?

The question isn't do you respect/like/agree with Obama, exactly. It's whether you think the person in the office and the office are separate enough that you can respect one without the other, and if the respect for the office can translate into shows of respect to the man when the respect you pay is to the office.

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 10:56 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I respect the office, but when the man sitting in it doesn't respect the Constitution, then I don't respect him.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:59 AM on May. 16, 2011

• IMO, with the job he is doing he doesn't deserve my respect.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:59 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I respect the man AND the office. I did NOT respect Bush (either one of them) but I did respect the office.
    partera813

Answer by partera813 at 11:01 AM on May. 16, 2011

• For me if I dont agree or think the man is an idiot then I respect the position he has....but I do not respect him.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:02 AM on May. 16, 2011

• The current one, no. I think he should be vetoing a ton more than he is and trying to sign more important things in than he is. cutting our military pay and giving them half pay with no housing pay was a stupid mistake that should have been sent back with a veto on it. cut congress before you cut the ones we depend on to keep us safe!

Bush, yes.. there was an honest down home American, he couldn't say the larger words and have no idea of their meanings but he was honest. "This is the guy who tried to kill my Dad" was one of his reasons for the war on terror.. yes he wanted to rid the world of these idiots who flew planes into our friends and families.

Clinton, yeah.. he was shady but I liked him and respected him (even if he did some things with a cigar that I'm not proud of)

I don't care WHO is in office, I care about what they do while there. Veto the stupid shit, pass the important things.. EDUCATION over immigration!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:02 AM on May. 16, 2011

• And a down vote for the Constitution. Someone's being petty.

Look, the office of the President is supposed to PROTECT INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY!!! If the person in office can't respect his own office, why should I respect him?? You're lost your effing marbles if you think this sort of man deserves respect (and for the record, I'm speaking of Bush just as much as Obama).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:11 AM on May. 16, 2011

• he couldn't say the larger words and have no idea of their meanings

I don't think anyone attends Yale AND Harvard without knowing the meaning of "larger" words.

And yes I respect the office, but that does not mean automatic respect for the person holding it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:17 AM on May. 16, 2011

• yes....I would show lil Bush respect even though I think he did a horrible job.

Clinton...yes and no...even though I think he did a good job as President....I have issues with him on the personal side...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:19 AM on May. 16, 2011

• As Ellish said he has to respect the Constitution and our freedoms. And if the President does not protect us he will lose all respect.

He's job is not to feed, house, cloth, us.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I respect the job. I couldn't do it. I think trying to be a good parent, wife and friend and trying to make a good balance with pleazing them is hard enough let alone doing it to America.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:22 AM on May. 16, 2011