How would you react?

My hubby's hobby is offroading vehicles. He went a few weeks ago and had something break that cost about $200 to repair (money that we don't have). This weekend he rode with a friend. He just called to tell me, "Honey, I'm ok, but Juan rolled the Jeep with us in it and we were trapped until someone came to get us out."

I freaked! He could have been killed! He says I am overreacting, but I say NO MORE OFFROADING!!!!!

I have seen pictures of hubby in his own vehicle with three tires off the ground! With all the stress we have right now, this is not something that I want to worry over. Now, everytime he goes on a trip, I am going to be consumed with worry.

What would your reaction be?

joy2bamom

Asked by joy2bamom at 1:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would be really freaked out! I mean if you have already tried to talk to him about it and he just blows it off, I don't know what you would say. Get a family photo and photo shop him out and say Here's our family. Now here is is cause you can't this dangerous "sport" of yours, and cry a little!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I would remind him that there is always a first time, just in case he hasn't gotten hurt (or even killed). By the way, when filing for a health insurance claim, the insurance wants a detailed description from both the injured person and the doctor. And believe me, the doctor will be honest that the injury was not consistent to an accident of daily life.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It sounds like too dangerous an activity for a man with a family. Is there something else he could do that would give him the same thrill but not be so dangerous? How about ...is it called BMX racing? There must be something where he isn't risking his life but is still fun.

Answer by Bmat at 1:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My husband has a "crotch rocket"...sport bike. I got tired of hearing about all the dangerous crap he does on it so I made a "what happens on the bike stays on the bike" rule. Telling him he can't ride anymore, or the way over dramatic suggestion of the PP would backfire...as it seems it's done for you. Maybe something like that would work for you. Men are a bit immature, but you can't stop them from doing what they love, that's just not right.
    Of course...I'm used to worrying about my husband after 2 deployments to Iraq. So as long as I don't have to hear about him being stupid on the bike, it's not a big deal. I just tell myself that he knows what he's doing and he's being safe (which he is).
    Anonymous

• Cont...
    And yeah, he could have died when the vehicle rolled, but he could die on his way to work tomorrow. As long as your husband is doing things safely and corrrectly, I wouldn't worry about it. If they were fine after rolling a jeep, I'm sure they're being safe about it. Those vehicles can withstand a whole heck of a lot!
    Anonymous

• this is a hard question to answer but i'm going to try. i'm not sure that it's fair to ask him to stop something that he loves because if he does quit he might just resent you. maybe you can compramise such as, make sure there's a roll cage in the vehicle see if he'll wear a helmet things like that.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I would be concerned, but if that is a passion of his, then I say let him do it. He has fun with it and gets to hang out with his friends as well. My BF is a cop, i worry about him all the time while he's at work, but I can't and won't sit here and tell him he can't do this anymore because it is too dangerous. He loves his job. And I need to trust him even after hearing how something went at work or that there were shots fired in his vicinity. It scares me to death, but he loves it. Talk to him about it to ease your fears. But I wouldn't cut him off from it completely. Maybe once or twice a month, IF they even go that much, not sure. GL!=)
    abootie

Answer by abootie at 9:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i would think he was selfish
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• This may sound a little crazy but have you ever went with him? Perhaps if you tried it you might see what he enjoys so much about it. At least he considered you when he called to let you know what happened instead of brushing it off assuming that you'd never hear.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008