Moms with children with autism

Are you scared about what kind of life they're going to have as adults?
How people will treat them?
Whether or not they'll get married or have kids?
When I think about my son reaching 18 in 8 years,it scares the hell out of me!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• My child has special needs/different needs. Yes, it is scary about what might happen in his future. But we have therapies now, we create the best possible support now, and with time and appropriate intervention the goal is to function and adapt to the environment. It isn't always easy. This is a marathon not a sprint. I am in it for the long hull. However or whatever it may look like. I am confident we are on the right path with his interventions, home environment, and school choices. I am thankful for the opprtunities and resources we have. I try to focus on the here and now so when the future arrives we have reached the finish line. It can look bleek or it can look bright depending on the day or progress. Just keep on truckin forward.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• it just makes me sad because society doesn't tend to treat people with disabilities fairly. All people tend to see is what's 'wrong"
    I agree with the mind catching up. My son is 10 but acts about 6

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't worry about any of those things. I am an adult with autism and I function just fine. I just teach them what I know.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:58 PM on May. 16, 2011