When do I "worry" ?

My nine month old won't hold a bottle, thinks a sippy cup is a teether, and is still "weeble wobbles" when he sits up. Should I hold off before taking him to the dr. or give it another month? I don't want to over worry, but I don't want to wait to long before seeking help either. He rolls and pivots just fine, but won't get those knees under him although the sitter has seen him "Army Crawl"
Is he refusing to hold the bottle out of stubborness or does he just not understand it... same way with the sippy cup. He doesn't seem to understand he has to "tip" it to get something out of it.

hollydaze1974

Asked by hollydaze1974 at 11:11 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds didn't ever hold his bottle and didn't take a cup until 14 months old, and there is nothing wrong with him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Well, he is ONLY 9 months, It isn't time yet to worry about sitting up wobbly.

Holding a bottle or a sippy isn't a true milestone and doesn't need to be met yet.

Lots of kids skip crawling and go straight to walking. I wouldn't worry unless he hasn't pulled to a stand by 18 months.

At his next normal appointment, not any sick visit. Casually ask the doc. No need to panic as of yet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2011

• At 6 mos my DD was capable of holding her own bottle. If she could hold a toy that weighed as much as a bottle and in her mouth then I knew she was more than capable to hold it. I would give it to her and place her hands on it. If she dropped it then she needed to pick it back up. The bottle issue resolved itself pretty quickly. The wobbling with sitting will resolve itself the more you force him to sit for longer periods of time. I'm not talking about hours on end but try using the tripod position and just being there for support if he tries to fall.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on May. 16, 2011

• My Ds skipped the crawling stage altogether and was walking at 9mos. He didn't hold his bottle, or tip a sippy cup, so we gave him a sippy with a straw. After a few days, he got it. But every baby is different. Your son has plenty of time. If he's still struggling with the same problems as bad in another month, ask. Just keep practicing, sit in front of him and have him hold your fingers and balance himself, bumbo chairs are also VERY handy! And lots of tummy time is good for building the core strength he'll need.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Try different types of sippy cups (soft vs hard nozzles) and fill em with juice- that might help baby start to use them more. And your baby is only 9 months old. Call the dr if you are worried- chances are everything is just fine.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:21 AM on May. 16, 2011

• He sounds just fine for his age. If you have any concern, just mention it to the pedi at the next visit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thank you all, yes I worry too much, but isn't that our job?
    hollydaze1974

Comment by hollydaze1974 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, it can be very frustrasting to not worry, I did the same with my son, we noticed we wasn't reaching his milestones around the time he should on sometimes. You're being a good more for keeping tract and having some concerns, just keep an eye on things, but my son was the exact same way.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:28 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I dot think you over worry at all :-) I think you're being vigilant and alert. Have you tried a bumbo? We used one for my son and he became a PRO at sitting.

Sippy cup- it took my DS awhile to do anything but chew on it, but I just bought a variety and finally found a style he liked (nuby starter if you're wondering). I did 1/3 of Adam and Eve juice and 2/3 room temp. I figured out he didn't like the liquid to be cold. I would practice with him in his high chair, I leaned his chair back and I held it tilted. He chewed, and juice came out! He smiled and after a few times he understood how it worked.

Bottle- I eventually resorted to placing it in his reach, and when he grabbed it I let it go. It would drop, but after a few times he realized I wasn't going to hold onto it and he picked it right up :-)

Good luck!!! BTW- you can ALWAYS call the dr, most offices have an RN that returns all the calls and can assist you.
    karesmile

Answer by karesmile at 4:41 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Room temp Water. Oy :-)
    karesmile

Answer by karesmile at 4:42 PM on May. 16, 2011