Screaming 2 year old

my 2 year old son r will be 3 on July the 31st he is not a great talker yet . but when he dose not get his own way he scream and throws him self to the ground then keep screaming this can go on for up to 20 mins +. we tend to move him to another room or leave him where he is and walk away and leave him screaming as nothing Else works and we been told giving him attshon will make it worse . but when the screaming dose not work he will start tipping stuff over and throwing stuff we put him in time out for that and he starts banging his head or biting his hand . he finds it so hard to calm down it really upsetting as the screaming really upset me it sounds like Simone hurting him . and yes we tried distracting him it dose not work when he in the mood nothing will do

so i have 2 older step kids and a baby living with me. we get home from getting r from nursery and he knows it snack time he gets snack and my step daughter took to long getting changed and he stole and eat her snack. so i had to go back in the snack box for a snack for her so r starts yelling he wants another snack so i offer him a waffer and he screams no and points to the box meaning he dose not want that snack but it all we have left . so we told him that waffer or nothing so he starts screaming and its been 10 mins so far . so he is in the hall and we are all in the living room so he sitting at the door screaming as load as he can

is this normal ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter cries like that (not that often yet but i know its slowly coming) I will cry louder then her and she will pause and Ill ask her if she is done "Are you done yet?" and if she starts again, so do I. When she finally stops for good, Ill talk to her, but not until then. Hope this helps.

~Syl~
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 4:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• sounds perfectly normal to me except I never left the room. I'd stand there over him with my arms crossed and after awhile I'd ask "Are you done yet? Because I can't talk to you if you aren't done" (same with whining btw) It may have taken a couple of times before he realized he really wasn't getting his point across, but it did shorten the tantrums. Next I'd get down on his level and as calmly as I could I'd tell him what he was feeling (because that's all he's trying to do) ... frustration, anger, upset, tired....what ever. He may have trouble communicating with you, but once he calms down, he can totally get that you understand what he is trying to tell you. IMO, you the faster you talk to them as mini adults, the faster they can communicate with you. Good luck
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It wasn't normal for my children, but we spanked them for acts of disobedience and disrespect, which I believe nipped a lot of this kind of behavior in the bud. There were signs that they had it in them, but they knew better than to act on it. They are now adults with children of their own, and we don't see that behavior in the grandchildren either. I think it's because they also get spanked for being disrespectful and disobedient. Children are born wanting to have their own way, and they will do whatever they can to intimidate you in to getting it. It's difficult but necessary to alert them early on that Mommy and Daddy are in charge and what they say goes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:25 AM on May. 16, 2011

• i should say he is hyper and is a high at high risk of dyslexia and adhd ( hereditary factors)

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 AM on May. 16, 2011