Would you randomly drug test your teen?

I have heard of parents who do... My dd is eight so I still have some time.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:12 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i would hope that i wouldn't have the need to
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 7:04 PM on May. 17, 2011

• no... i did drugs as a teen and i don't think any good would have came out of my parents drug testing me. if it's to the point you feel you need to drug test your kid, then you already know they're doing drugs. at this point the "proof" is irrelevent and there are bigger issues at hand.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:20 AM on May. 16, 2011

• If I had reason to, yes.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Drug tests only work if you know what you are testing for, and I think they damage the trust and communication in the parent/child relationship. I think there are better ways to find out what is going on.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2011

• IF they had issues where I found it in the house.. maybe...
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• It would depend on if they gave me a reason to or not. I would if I thought there was cause to do it, and you can buy the tests that screen for everything.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:16 AM on May. 16, 2011

• No. Even if my children get into drugs in their teens there isn't any way I can stop them short of locking them in their rooms - if I felt they had a drug problem I'd check them into rehab or other treatment center. I'm not a hypocrite - I smoke pot, I've been smoking pot since I was 14 but I never went to school high, I got good grades and graduated and went on to college and finished with a BA in English Lit. I never tried any other drugs nor have I ever wanted to. My husband has experience with acid, ecstasy, shrooms, and cocaine (all during his teen years) so he knows more about what to look for in people using those kinds of drugs and if I suspect one of my kids is doing it then I'll face the problem when we get there but I have no intention of ever trying to get them to take a home drug test.

anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I would not do it unless I had a reason to think he was doing drugs.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 11:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• To be honest........I never thought I would, but hindsight suggests it may have been a good idea.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2011

• if I thought there was a reason to YES
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2011