To the mom's that do not believe in god or jesus. I have a question for myself.

When and how did you decide to not believe? After going to church here lately and reading some of the bible, I can not bring myself to believe all that. Part of me wants to believe but then part of me does not. My husband believes and right now my children(both 8 years old) do to. I wasnt raised in church nor was I told about God and Jesus. My parent believe but in there own ways and they never pushed it on us, they left it up to us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I never 'chose' not to believe in a monotheistic deity. At various times, I tried to believe it. It just never made sense to me. I always had more questions than answers and the answers I was given always just led to more questions. Ultimately I had to realize that I just did not believe in God the way God was conceptualized in monotheistic or polytheistic religions. Ever since I was a child I was more of a pantheist- that 'God' is the ground of being comprising the natural world. This just made more sense to me. I did a lot of searching, and now I retain my pantheistic God ideas and practice Buddhism (a more philosophical religion that does not teach a conception of deity.) It makes sense to me. But I think we do ourselves a disservice when we try to fit ourselves in a religious 'box.' It's okay to be searching... it's okay to think and consider and change and grow.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• idk, just something i knew all along. i didnt just wake up one day and say i wasnt going to. Maybe my ah-ha moment came when my dad told me there wasnt such a thing as the easter bunny. He was really mean. He said "do you really believe in a 10 ft. fuc*ing rabbit hopping around giving out eggs"..my heart was crushed. but, if that cant be real then how are you supposed to believe in some big man in the sky? i questioned everything from that moment on and still do
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I neve decided to not believe....I NEVER believed but it wasn't until I was an adult that I understood I had the choice to listen to my heart. Once I began to listen to my heart...and follow the spiritual path it took me down, I have never been happier. Church and god and followers of god never sat well with me.
    It just doesn't make sense to me. However, nature and the world all around me always spoke to me. I feel something in the wind, and the trees. I have a spiritual connection to the natural world...I've been this way for as long as I can remember. It's just part of me and my inner soul. I choose to listen to my heart and my soul, and it's never lied to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Faith isnt something you decide I think. I think its something you feel. Like when a song moves you or a movie creates that feeling inside you. I have always thought I was supposed to feel inspired to do better and honestly when I was little I would expect to feel diferent in church but I never did. I understand what you are saying. I was raised in church, graduated from a private Christian academy. I dont take my children to church however. I took them once and they hated it!
    You owe it to your children to not fake it. Be honest with them. Maybe they see something you dont.
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 11:58 AM on May. 16, 2011

• I could never reconcile the petty vengeful deity in the old testament with the all-knowing, all-loving deity in the new testament. Just never worked for me. That, and for a period of about 6 months any time I went to church with someone I'd come home and someone close to me had died.

I've never been into organized religion anyway, and the thought of getting dressed up in uncomfortable clothing to go sit in a building and have someone tell me how grateful I should be towards this "thing" just does not compute to me. And, it seems like a cop-out to me. When you screw up it's "the devil made me do it", but when you've done good it's "god's work" or something else. Again, just does not compute.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I was brought up in a very religious family- went to church at least 3 times a week... I never knew anyone believed anything different from us really. When I was in high school they ahd mellowed slightly on how many times a week we were going, and I took a mythology class much to their unhappiness. That same year I also had a class that spent a week or two talking about major religions and religious history and this was when I started to realise other people believed other things. I was already not loving church anymroe by this point and the combination of all this is what led me to be an athiest. My parents tried REALLY hard to keep me loving God, but I jsut didn't feel it/ couldn't believe anymore
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• * The more I learn of other beliefs- the more I'm comfortable with not believing in any Gods- if that makes sense
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Also, I have 3 daughters. 2 are biologically mine. When they started asking questions about God and were old enough to understand ( about 8) I did some research with them about different religions. They all had there goods and bads. Some we giggled over, some we rolled our eyes, and some we said, thats cool. We would tease about taking what we liked from each one.
    My oldest is now 15 and studies Buddism, my 12 year old attends Christian church with her friends, my little one who is 4 will not go at all!
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 12:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I didn't suddenly decide that I believed Jesus was a human, a wise man,and not the son of God. It just happened over the years ,after education and experience and knowledge showed me that it was possible to follow the teachings of Jesus as a MAN, not a deified holy being. And I still believe in God. But I never tried to influence my children either way---we went to church with grandparents, etc, Now they are grown up they all have made up their own minds about religion and God. They are adults now with their own families.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It isn't something I have consciously "chosen" not to believe. I simply can not force myself to. I could tell myself all day that ferries are real, that they live in my garden and I should leave gifts for them- but saying it doesn't make it any more real, or legitimate, or true.
    Some people simply need there to be something bigger than they are, so they latch onto religion- I never had that need. Despite the fact that I was brought up in a fundamentalist christian home, I simply never could wrap my brain around how they believed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 PM on May. 16, 2011