What is the best way to break an 18 month old from biting other children?

It is an 18 month old girl that bites other kids and toddlers frequently. She occasionally bites adults too but mostly other kids.

amberclark

Asked by amberclark at 12:04 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a mom- some people will actually bite thier child back so they can understand it hurts
    I never did this. I put them in good old time out with a lecture.
    As a nurse- Time out.
    Good luck hope it gets better :)
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 12:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• After 3 hairpulling screaming and door slamming daughters I can say this.
    I NEVER give attention for negative behavior. I would pick up the bitten child and console them and let the (bully) biter see that no attention at all results from this behavior. Then I pick up the biter and with out a word and place them in time out. Then immediately go back to the other child.
    Also, I have found it is EXTREMELY important to make them apologize!
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 12:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have bit my child back because my grandma told me to show her it hurts and she would stop. Well she didn't stop she started bitting more so I wouldn't suggest you bite her back. But I don't really know anything to tell you I have tried everything since she was about that age. My dd is 3 years now and still bites. She didn't ever bit adults though. She is not bitting others as much anymore it is more herself now. My oldest is 6 years and she bit the first time at 18 months she bit me. I smaked her mouth told her no that hurt mommy and she stopped right then and there.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• mommy5409: Have you tried smacking the mouth of your 3 year old (the way you did with the oldest) with no success? I've been gently tapping her on the mouth and telling her no biting and then putting her in time out. This has helped greatly while she is with me but she is still biting children when she is with her mom. (I'm her stepmom) Her mother does the "biting to show it hurts" thing (which I feel is child abuse) and actually left a bruise at one point and I'm wondering if it is having the opposite affect that her mother wants it to since she no longer bites while she is with me but does with her mom. I've tried to explain this to her and suggest she try what I do but she insists against it so I am trying to come up with new ideas she can try. I can't stand the thought of an adult biting a child. It makes no sense to me when children learn best by example.
    amberclark

Comment by amberclark (original poster) at 1:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I got mine to quit by offering him pudding off my finger... The first time he bit, I told him "We don't bite people" So I did it a second time with a second bite and repeated, We don't bite people... third time I put the pudding on my finger, passed it in front of him and ate it myself... small tantrum followed my me reminding him We don't bite people... the next time the pudding came around... no bite... and no biting children after that either
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well, I didn't actually have a system. He only bit me once. He had never bit me before but our cat would bite our legs. I was on all fours scrubbing the floor when he bit me on the calf. I thought it was the cat and I was so sick of her biting I just reached without looking to smack her. I aimed high enough to just clip the tips of her ears but when I full on connected I looked back to see DS on his butt gaping at me. I felt so bad but I explained to him that mommy was sorry and didn't mean to hurt him because hurting people isn't nice and that's why he shouldn't bite because it hurts and that's not nice. Never bit again but not the way I would have liked to go about it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:58 PM on May. 16, 2011