My six year old daughter wants a skateboard for Christmas...

Well, she asked for a skateboard for Christmas, along with knee and elbow pads and a helmet. I sort of want to say no, I don't want her to get hurt or discouraged if she falls down (which she will). Also, I don't know anything about skateboarding, but my husband does and I don't need him getting hurt either (we don't have health insurance.) Should I just get her a skateboard because she really wants it, or should I try to suggest something a little safer for her age?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 1:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if it wasn't for the fact that you don't have insurance id say get it for her. but she willa nd she will get hurt... just tell her someday and then get her something else seh really wants =)

and reality is she could get hurt doing anything else!! But skateboarding is alot more dangerous than most sports
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The kids have insurance, it's just my husband and I do not ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i say, one way or another their going to get hurt. so why not just get her the skateboard she really wants! :D my son is two and he has one. only bcuz my BIL has one and he wants to be just like him! hehe.. its a tiny one though! but still..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i would get it for her, i dont see a problem as long as shes weraing the proper safetyequipment. have her practice in the grass, or on the carpet, so she can find her balance, who knows maybe shell be great at it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my son has had one since he was 3 years old and we've never had any issues with him getting hurt. He knows he is not allowed to ride it without his pads and helmet, and he's been fine.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 3:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I don't see a problem as long as she had the proper equipment. I saw a barbie one a toys r us that was a scooter and/or skateboard and was wider than the typical.
    Reality: kids are going to fall and get hurtb (bike riding, running, skating etc.) You said your hubby knows about skate boarding so let him pretty much teach her (and you) the important points (how to balance etc.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• How a about a scooter? They are alittle safer then a skateboard. If she can handle a scooter then a skate board for her birthday or next years Christmas. I think it really depends on how active and balanced she is. With proper safety equipment, she should be fine. My SIL broke her ankle walking acrossed her livingroom lol, so injuries can happen anywhere.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Oooh a scooter sounds like a good idea!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2008