How do you deal with childcare for a 12 year old ?

How do you have childcare for a 12-13 year old while you work in the summer? Do you leave them alone? What is the most affordable option?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• The YMCA might have a Summer program they can attend. Or you could ask a Mom from school that babysits if he/she can go there. I wouldn't leave him/her alone during the day for the whole Summer.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Maybe see if one of his friends Mom's can watch him for a good price. That's what my parents did back in the day... one of the neighborhood mom's was "in charge"... she worked in the school system so she was off in the summer.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Mine stayed at home alone, but, he was mature, and well prepared.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• NO... you do not leave them alone that is just asking for trouble.

YMCA camp is a good option.
    Anonymous

• I checked Ymca, they are asking 255 a week, That is a little high. I will check mom's in the area!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It depends on your state law. For instance in NC you cannot leave your child home alone or it is considered neglect. Even at 12. Thet got the law in there under a fire hazard bylaw. When my son is at his dads over the summer he goes to a day camp, basically like an after school program that runs all day.

Answer by gemgem at 12:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I took mine to the boys and girls club. It's $20 for the entire summer and they can play games, read, watch movies, hang out with new friends, learn musical instruments, play on the computer, etc. You should def check it out. I used to take my DH to the YYMCA and it was so expensive.
    amysaves

Answer by amysaves at 6:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• my 12 year old daughter is either going with me while I work at an autism summer program or to her karate dojo's week camps....my boss knows that she has aspergers and is perfectly cool with her coming with me....there arent many cheap or reseanable priced daycares/camps for tweens in our area.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:35 PM on May. 20, 2011