Disc Cleanup and Defrag?

I am pretty technology handicapped. I know how to log into cafemom and facebook, and really thats the extent of it. My computer has been acting up and DH isn't home and wont be for another month and a half, so he is no help. Well my friend suggests a disc cleanup and defrag. His words. I have NO idea what this means. HELP PLEASE!!!

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 12:39 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Technology

• Open your start menu. open all programs. click acceseries. there you will find disc clean up and defrag. Click on clean up first. let it work then . Do a defrag. I have mine on the desk top so it's easier to use and find. You could also gp to internet tools and delete cookies also.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Go to Start, then go to Control Panel, find Administrative Tools, click on either disc cleanup or defrag. Follow instructions. You might have a lot of junk taking up space on your computer. When you delete a lot of things they stay on your computer until you get rid of it. Find your recycle bin, looks like a trash can, click where it says empty the recycle bin.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Start with restarting your PC, then make sure you run a virus scan and a malware scan. Then do the disk clean up and defrag. But there are drawbacks to doing that too!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i am the sameway dh does it for me lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Crafty what are the drawbacks?
    My friend installed Malwarbytes anti-malware that I run
    cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 12:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Whooops in accessories there is system tools that's what you want.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• After I go to Administrative Controls my options are: component services, computer managment, data services, event viewer, iSCSI initiator, performance monitor, services, system configuration, task scheduler, windows firewall with advanced security, windows memory diagnostics, and windows power shell modules
    cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 1:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My hubby is in IT... he says that he's seen a lot of people have problems with the disc clean up - because they don't know what they are doing. Bottom line is DON'T just delete stuff is you aren't sure if you need it or not!! You could be deleting something that you need to run important programs/systems on you PC. He says if you have problems it's usually something else and these two programs aren't going to help you.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• rgh ok, so confusing. I deleted my trash bin cause that was really the only thing I was comfortable deleting because like you said, I have no idea what they are for.
    cassie_kellison

Comment by cassie_kellison (original poster) at 1:12 PM on May. 16, 2011