Is it against the law to have a baby in the front seat?

I mean in their car seat that it. I know it's dangerous because of air bags crushing them but what if you don't have air bags? and you slide the seat all the way back? I completely respect the law and all and the safety of my LO but when I'm in the car alone with him I find it more dangerous reaching in the back to hold his bottle for him and search for his pacifier and things like that. I always start swirving trying to do that and it would be easier to reach over beside me. I know you won't get in trouble if a baby is in a truck with you which is technically the front seat soo..What about a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think its against the law, just really dangerous. If you are going to do that can you turn the air bag off on thats side? Our truck actually doesn't even turn on unless its over 100 pounds.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• laws differ depending on state. a quick google check should answer that for you.

try this link http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 1:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• why are you feeding the baby while driving anyway?? babe can wait a little. Thats pretty dangerous my dear..
    Anonymous

• No, it's not against the law if you don't have airbags. As you point out, what do you do if you have a truck or a 2-seater car?
    HOWEVER, the back seat is far safer. Accidents that kill the front seat passengers frequently only harm the back seat ones - provided everyone is in a seat belt. Back seat passengers are just more protected.
    So what do you do when he loses his binky, bottle, or toy? You tell him "I'm sorry sweetie. Mommy is driving right now and can't get it for you." Then you put up with his crying (don't sweat it, it won't harm him) until it is SAFE for you to locate his lost treasure.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• He's a newborn soo it's kinda like "give me my bottle now!" kind of thing. One big spur of the moment thing..
    Anonymous

• It really isn't face to have him in the front with you. If he is screaming his head off in the back because he lost his pacifier then either ignore it or pull over and help him out. If he needs a bottle you need to plan ahead before you leave. You need to do what is best for you baby... which is the back seat.. not what is best for you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2008