Should I use ink refills?

I have an Epson Artisan all in one photo printer. It prints out fantastic photos and we love it. The problem is it uses 5 color cartridges instead of the traditional 3. It can range from $60 to 70 to replace the color ink alone. The ink doesn't even last as long as we anticipated. I've seen a couple of kits that allow you to refill at home. I know that if anything goes wrong with this,. I'm out of luck because my warranty only covers manufacturer's ink. Has anyone tried any of the ink refill kits? Does anyone have this printer? Any suggestions??

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 12:59 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Technology

• I don't have the same printer, but I get my cartridges refilled at cartridge world and am very happy with the quality of prints that result. I am hesitant to use the DIY kits just because there is not enough accountability if something does go wrong I.e. The DIY kit manufacturer could just blame any problems on user error.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i don't know but I can't wait to hear responses on this. I'm curious too!
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 1:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I work for an imaging company and we mainly sell toner cartridges. We resell name brands (HP being the most popular) and we market our own brand, also. Yes, you're right, DIY kits are not recommended as they can mess with your warranty. I have to admit I'm not entirely familiar with the Epson Artisan AIO - what are the five colors it takes? Cyan/Magenta/Yellow and maybe Photo Black? Gray? Hmm.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I called cartridge world, but was told that they didn't have the capabilities to refill the 2 additional color cartridges. :-(

And I agree with the accountability factor of the diy kits.
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• @1smartcookie- the additional colors are light cyan and light magenta
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• no i havent good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 11:47 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I wonder if that would be equivalent to photo cyan and photo magenta in the HP product line? Might be worth consulting Cartridge World about that. They might be able to tell you if there is any difference between the HP inks and your inks or if it would be worth trying the HP ink in your EPSON cartridge. I'm such a rebel.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 4:53 PM on May. 18, 2011