Can a child or Adult get strep-throat if they dont have tonsils?

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• yes, you can it just does not happen as much as someone with

Answer by kbear at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes I'm sure it's possible. I believe that tonsils grow back? My mom had hers taken out when she was a child and still gets strep from time to time.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes, having tonsils does not matter whether an adult or child gets strep.

Answer by tngal at 12:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes! I have my tonsils out & I just recently had strep throat for the first time!

Answer by lmoots at 1:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yep had my tonsils out when I was in 1st grade and have had strep a handful of times and mono twice as well as larengitous.

Answer by TwistedMalice at 2:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had my tonsils out when i was 2. I get strep all the time. this year 08 i Have had it twice. mt oldest has had it twice. I know the signs and we get to the doc befor it gets bad.

Answer by Julie-3boys at 3:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Strep throat is just a "layman's" term for an infection caused by the bacteria streptococcus. It can and will settle in your throat itself, on the sides of the back of the mouth, near or on tonsils, on your tongue, or down your throat. The bacteria can "hang out" in your lymph nodes in your neck area under your jaw line and then when you are stressed by other factors or another illness arises it can flare up again; Or you can get a single case and treat it with antibiotics and then another strain of bacteria in the strep family could strike you again at any given time.
    Newborns, and infants CAN get strep throat though it is rare. High fever, lack of wanting to nurse or bottle feed, and other mouth related symptoms may strep. Always check with your doctor because untreated strep throat can lead to scarlet fever after a long period of time.

Answer by Funx3 at 1:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I usually get strep every year (for the past 20 years!) and I had my tonsils take out at age 5.

Answer by NovaChk at 10:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My son had his tonsils out at age 5 and gets strept once or twice a year still. He is 13 now.

What my doctor told me is there is only approx 17-20 strains of strept out there, and once you get a certain strain, you become immune to it, so if you are prone to strep, you will only get it a limited number of times in life.

Answer by scooby27 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2008