At what age should my child start talking?

genamarie76

Asked by genamarie76 at 1:03 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• between 6 months and 3 years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My children have all been SO different. My firstborn was not very vocal, at all. Not even many sounds. He said maybe half a dozen words (and that is a stretch) by 18 months. My fourth child is a lot like him. He is 18 months and says 2 words. :D Anyway, my first didn't really start talking until he was 3 years old. But when he started, he started in sentences. Mostly.

My second born was a little more normal. But still behind the normal curve. He was talking by 2 years old. Simple sentences.

My third, imo, is a bit advanced (but then maybe I think that because of my first two!). She is 2 years old and has excellent grammar, complex sentences, good pronunciation, hundreds and hundreds of words in her vocab! And she was like that before she turned 2.

I guess my point is, there is a normal, yet before or after that is still normal and may be what is normal for your child. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Every child learns to talk at their own pace, but if my child weren't saying any words by 20 months I would talk to his/her pediatrician. If he weren't saying any words by 2, I would have a developmental evaluation (early intervention in your area will do one for free).

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 right now and hes in the repeating stage lol. Everything I say he tries to repeat. And most of it I can understand but still some words he has trouble with. He can def. pick up on bad words lol... : / he loves to tell me "stoppit mama" lol, or u cwazy...simple stuff really that he hears. But each child is different, and if he/she is old enough and still doesnt dont be alarmed just yet. Ask your ped. to do a evaluation test just to see if their is any developmental problems...but i wouldnt worry much...enjoy it while it last lol
    Nathonsmama

Answer by Nathonsmama at 1:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Boys tend to be not as voal and language skills are not as advanced as girls of the same age, but by age 2 he should be talking in simple sentences.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My 1st son didnt start talking until he was over 2 1/2 no matter how much we tried to get him to we even tried to make it fun and use flash cards and make games out of it he wasnt up for it.. But once he started talking he hasn't stopped lol ... But if you are really worried about it talk to your child's Dr they should be able to tell you more
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 2:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Every child is different. DD was speaking in full sentences by 18 months and her friends (2 boys the same age) were just starting to make full words.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i would say she really starting talking alot more after 18months but before that not much. she probably said a couple of common words but really talked closer to 2 and now repeats everything and really is talking more on her own and she is a little over 2yrs old. i would say it really depends on the child. if they understand and point more then they are verbal i think that is fine because my daughter was like that. i say by 2 yr if no vacab consult a dr.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:01 PM on May. 17, 2011