Wipe my booty?

My 4 yr old insists that I help him wipe his booty he will through a fit if I don't. I would rather assist so it doesn't make a big mess in his drawers but he i about to start pre-k. What do I need to do to acomplish him doing it on his own. I don't mind the fit throwing I know 4 yr olds do that. What I mind is making sure he gets it all clean by himself.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:13 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with grandma... I've taught pre-k as well as raised my own and at that age they really aren't going to be that good at it. Be thankful that he isn't just getting up without cleaning at all. I remember when my dd started at a new preschool, they wouldn't clean her bottom, so she had to learn fast. Wipes are a great way to get started. Tell him that big boys go to school and clean their own bottoms and give him a wipe but stay by him to give assistance as needed.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 1:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• introduce him to those wet wipes
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:16 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have potty trained 6 children only 2 could effectively wipe their hiney after a bowel movement at 4 yrs old. Both were girls. Just keep plugging away at it. Wet wipes help some kids. Show them how to hold the paper to avoid getting hands dirty. Other than the physical part getting it on their hands is what they hate the most.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Ugh! My 4-year-old DD insists I do this as well -- She does it herself at school, but doesnt want to at all.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 1:20 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I do the same for my 5 y.o. Funny enough, he set his own goal of starting to wipe his butt on his own when he turned 5. He uses the wet wipes and does a pretty good job and then I do a once over to make sure he got it all. I tell him that if he finds later that his butt is itchy, he probably needs to go back and wipe again . . . Which he doesnt want to do so he tries to be thorough the first time. I think mainly we just need to reinforce the steps in getting it clean (wipe and look, repeat until no more poop on the paper/wipe). Lately I have been seeing that he has done a very good job, so I praise him. Perhaps your son might do well with a reward system for wiping himself clean? You would need to do an inspection to make sure he's getting it all and then have a treat or trinket or point system for earning something bigger. I am thinking about doing that myself but am hoping that praise alone will get us there!
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:28 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I wipe my 4 yr old's butt too. He already goes to preK and doesn't go #2 there. He saves it for me :) What a sweetie!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:29 PM on May. 16, 2011