What can I give my 5 month old for a raspy cough

Doc says I can give her tylonol but they all say pain and fever reducer, she doesn't have a fever just a cough and runny nose

mommyof3-1210

Asked by mommyof3-1210 at 1:17 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Listen to the doc he knows best your little one is too small for anything OTC.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 1:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Have you taken her to SEE the doc, or just made a call? I would want the dr to examine my child, and if necessary, prescribe a medication. In the meantime, you can try sitting in a steamy bathroom with her, the steam will help break up anything that might be in her chest, and use a humidifier.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I assume it's not something that is affecting her ability to breath normally, in which case you should take her to the dr. Other than that, there are tons of homeopathic syrups u can try at your local health food store, whole foods. The people that work there can guide u in choosing the right one. Since babies and small children cannot safely take OTC drugs, I started exploring alternative therapies when my oldest was very little. You would not believe how effective homeopathics and herbals can be in helping bring comfort to our little people. Homeopathics are great because they have no side effects.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:41 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would say that the tyneol is to help your baby feel comfortable, even if they don't have a fever it's great health when your little one has a cough. just keep and eye on it to make sure its not something more, etc.
    and as always go in to your doctor if still not better if there a cause for concern.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The best advice I have is to take him into the doctor asap. When my son was about 6 months he got a raspy cough. I didn't take him in for a few days and it happened to be a virus. Your dr. probably suggested the Tylenol to help soothe the throat pain from coughing. The idea is that if it's throat irritation causing the cough, Tylenol will help. I'm honestly miffed that my doctor didn't have us come in ASAP. Within a day of being on meds DS felt SO much better (as did we bc he went back to sleeping through the night!)
    karesmile

Answer by karesmile at 4:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I went ahead and took her to see the Doc, turns out she has a slight ear infection

mommyof3-1210

Comment by mommyof3-1210 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on May. 16, 2011