Do you teach your children about their heritage?

Growing up I was always taught to be proud of my heritage, both of my parents grew up in Ireland and my dad is 100% Irish but my mom was born in Italy and is Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Welsh, and Scottish. My husband is also from Ireland and 100% Irish, he was not only raised to embrace his heritage but his parents also have a library filled with family antiques - furniture, tools, paintings, letters, journals, photos, and such. I love going to my in laws and just looking at all that stuff and I'm happy that my children can learn about our families history.

anon1986East

Asked by anon1986East at 1:33 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. I've a Celtic background and share that information with my children and grandchildren

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes. My grandfather immigrated from Spain with his family and has quite a story with that. My grandmother immigrated from Mexico. I teach the kids about their Hispanic backgrounds all the time. They can speak some spanish, cook spanish foods and things like that. My husband is great about it too.

Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• when my son is older and will understand i will... he is mixed to the fullest to there will be alot to explain.
    lynnlang

Answer by lynnlang at 1:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, they learn about their own heritage as well as cultures from all around the world.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, we are Native American. My son has already started hearing the stories, he will visit the reservation often and I will teach him the language. He will be well informed on his culture.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY!
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• This is good to hear, when I was a kid so many other kids had no idea where their blood line originated and knew nothing of their family's past generations. Some only learned about the country/countries their family began by doing a school report on it. I believe knowing the kind of hardworking, and at times ruthless warriors my ancestors were contributed to me be as determined as I am.
    anon1986East

Comment by anon1986East (original poster) at 9:07 AM on May. 17, 2011