What is the best way to answer the interview question "whats your goal in the next 5 years"

I always get tongue tied on this question when I go into an interview , the most logical wants to come out ,but what is the best answer to give and what are they looking for in that answer?

barrerajuls

Asked by barrerajuls at 1:40 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've always said something like "To be working hard doing ((fill in blank on what you are interviewing for)), which I love to do."

When I worked I was a secretary. I loved the organized face-paced non-stop work and once I started doing it, never had any desire to "move up" into another position. I interviewed for an Executive Assistant position working for the CFO of a hospital. I got the job. Became pretty good friends with the guy who interviewed me initially and I asked him why I was the one hired. He said he forwarded me onto a second interview with the CFO because I told him that I was happy being a secretary and I had no desire to, let's say, take over his position in the future.

Good luck!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've done some interviewing at my job with my boss. The best answers are ones that are honest, don't make it sound forced, they know you have other goals besides working there :) Say you hope to still be in your field of work, possibly advanced to a supervisory position or something like that. Whatever pertains to your field. But also sprinkle in something personal, like maybe learning another language, taking avdanced classes for your field, buying a home, or something that shows you have goals. Bosses like when you are trying to better yourself, they will take it as a sign that you will step things up at work too.
    siera_lyn

Answer by siera_lyn at 2:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• When they ask that they're basically looking to see if you plan to still be there at that company in 5 years. So whatever you say, make sure it includes the company you're interviewing with.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 9:31 AM on May. 17, 2011