Moving - Phoenix or Vegas?

Me and my boyfriend are looking to move a warmer climate, where we can get a home under $150,000 that newer and large. We've seen quite a few good homes in Phoenix and Vegas areas, but can't really decide. How are these places in general? As far as crime and schools? I know that's a pretty open ended question, but I don't really know anything about either place except it's warmer :)

siera_lyn

Asked by siera_lyn at 1:53 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Look beyond the housing prices, look at the tax rate for housing, cost of living - gas, food, etc prices. Can you find jobs where you want to live, etc.

I'd be looking for jobs before looking at housing. I know that Vegas is hard to find a job and extremely expensive to live.
    Anonymous

• VEGAS : is beautiful, costly, not alot of grassy yards, and busy. ( guess it just depends on what you are looking for)
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sorry, should have given more details :) Jobs aren't really a problem, I'm an admin assistant and my BF is a truck driver, so we can usually find something in our fields. I mostly want something with good schools, great climate, nice neighborhoods around a metro area. I'm used to paying alot for gas as I commute over 2 hours everyday. I just wasn't sure if Vegas has any family-friendly communities around Vegas itself, or do they have high crime rates?
    siera_lyn

Comment by siera_lyn (original poster) at 2:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd go with Phoenix as it doesn't have the Vegas pull and upcharges.
    Anonymous

• Vegas : Check out (what I know about) the RED ROCK area schools, Parks,neighborhoods. SUMMERLIN area has a park ...... neighbors pretty much keep to themselves..... kids play together though
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:10 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've lived in both places and I choose Phoenix about 100 times over! The cost of living is about the same for both cities, crime depends on what area, but that is about the same in general as well. I rent from my BFF, it is a 3 bed 2 bath home, with a large backyard, 2 car garage 20 miles east of Phoenix in Gilbert (which has the lowest crime rate in Arizona and 24th lowest in nation) and she paid 128,000 for it 3 years ago.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd personally move to Phoenix over Vegas, but even with your portable jobs, I'd still see what was available before you move. The job market in Phoenix isn't very good right now which means there is lots of competition for the very kind of jobs you and your boyfriend have.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I live in Las Vegas and I LOVE it here. We moved here from Illinois in 2005 and a lot has changed since then. House prices have dropped so dramatically that you can buy great houses for very little money now. There are some really wonderful areas and some crappy ones. The key is to know what part of the valley you're looking in. I live on the Northwest side, and it's perfect. Very nice, neighborhood feel, very clean and safe and the schools here are so so so much better than most parts of the valley. It's close to everything though. I can get pretty much anywhere in about 10 minutes. The parks here are awesome, and they're everywhere. Within two miles of our house, there are probably a dozen really nice parks, all pretty new and many of them with water features. We never had anything like that for the kids in Illinois. Message me if you want to know more about a specific area of the valley. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Oh, and yes the weather is AWESOME and the mountains are beautiful!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

• phoenix
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 6:08 PM on May. 16, 2011