Am I in the wrong?!

My son will be going into 1st grade (he will be 6 in Aug.) the school sent home a summer reading program for the kids.. its 2 days a week for 2 hours a day. Tuesday and Wednesday from 1:30 - 3:30..it goes from the end of June til the end of July. I of course signed him up. My husband and my mom thinks
I am so horrible for doing this..
my son loves school and loves to read..

Would you sign your child up?

3HappylKidds

Asked by 3HappylKidds at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that's great! I make my kids read and do work pages or hands-on learning every weekday through summer break, so I don't think you're awful at all.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Personally no I wouldnt. We generally take the summer for just family time is why.

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• if it was something that he enjoys and it would help him with school then yes....i dont think your in the wrong...Its not like he dosnt get a summer or a break....i think your husband and mom are overreacting a bit....but did you at least talk to your husband about it before signing your son up for the program?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Why do they think this is horrible? Is it very costly?? I think it's a great idea! My Son would love it too!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• How could reading be bad?? I remember doing educational summer programs as a kid and I loved it!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 2:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• They think its too much school.. and he should enjoy the summer.
    Honestly no I didn't talk to my husband about it first because i know what he would say.
    It doesn't cost anything
    its 2 hours out of the day - still tons of time to play
    My husband works during the days so our 'family time' is usually on the weekend during the days off ..
    My son doesn't have to go every day!
    3HappylKidds

Comment by 3HappylKidds (original poster) at 2:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It sounds like an awesome program. Kudos to you for doing what is best for your child's education. It's too bad your husband and mom don't see it that way. )c: My kids always did the summer reading program at the library and loved it, to me this is no different.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Oh my mother jsut says ' I didn't make you do that, why would you do that to him' ..

my sonn comes home from school and just reads! .. he is allowed to bring toys to school and play with them during free time and he would rather bring books!..

my husband also says i am going to make him hate school.
    3HappylKidds

Comment by 3HappylKidds (original poster) at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it sounds wonderful. How anyone could be against reading, is VERY ODD to me.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• 2 days a week, 2 hours each time... sure why not.
    Anonymous