Cat napping baby

When my baby was 1 mo. old she took 2 two hr. naps a day. Now she is 4 mo. old and I can't get her to take more than a 10 min nap all day long. How many naps should she be taking a day and for how long?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 2:01 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've read from many sources both online and in books that babies this age and older should get 2 naps a day, each 1-2 hours. However, I've also learned that at around 4 months and then again at around 9 months some babies go through a sleep regression where they don't sleep as well as they used to. It has a lot to do with brain development; their brains are so active that it's hard for them to calm down and sleep. They are learning so much! Other factors include growth spurts (maybe she is more hungry more often than usual) or teething (maybe she is experiencing a little pain).
    All you can do is keep trying to get her to nap...more than likely it is just a phase that may last from 2-6 weeks. It's always possible there is something more wrong, such as an ear infection, that is causing her pain and preventing her from sleeping for long. My guess is, it's just a phase and will pass :)
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 2:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• that is what my son did from birth to 12 months - cat naps. ugh..I swear he still sleeps less than an average adult at only 3 years old.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Both my kids took 20-40 min naps from about 2 months to 7/8 months. I tried everything, but all that worked was holding them the whole time. Even then, I could barely stretch it to an hour. It did help to be in a dark, quiet room, soft music and a warm house.
    Anonymous

• My story is similar to Anon. My DD finally settled into a normal nap routine at about 6 months where she was taking two naps a day at about the same time. Up until that point she would take several short naps a day.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Every baby is different, they may be going through a small faze, don't worry to much about it. If your baby is comfortable, fed and changed then I would just mointor their naps and bring up at next visit.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:23 PM on May. 16, 2011