New Sexual Abuse Guidelines Released by the Vatican

Thoughts?

What about the financial fallout associated with the sexual abuse scandals?

Does the RCC think it's above the law?

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 2:16 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• links are helpful.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it was a mistake not to lessen bishop's discretion
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Links please!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Here's a link: http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=41429

From the article: The document itself says with crystal clarity: "Sexual abuse of minors is not just a canonical delict but also a crime prosecuted by civil law. Although relations with civil authority will differ in various countries, nevertheless it is important to cooperate with such authority within their responsibilities. Specifically, without prejudice to the sacramental internal forum, the prescriptions of civil law regarding the reporting of such crimes to the designated authority should always be followed. This collaboration, moreover, not only concerns cases of abuse committed by clerics, but also those cases which involve religious or lay persons who function in ecclesiastical structures."

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think the Vatican forgot to read Romans 13.

Is the RCC above the law? No. Do they act like they are? Yes.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• SW- thanks for the link-
    I heard it on the news.

I agree there is too much leeway and time granted- Bishop authority should have been decreased and murkiness between country and cannon law clarified-
    Sisteract

Comment by Sisteract (original poster) at 3:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Does it really matter what guidelines the Vatican comes up with? I believe that the American Conference of Catholic Bishops came up with their own guidelines years ago. Our diocese developed these guidelines in 2002 (and I believe the code of conduct was just revised this year again), these policies were changed based on what the American Conference of Catholic Bishops came up with in 2002. Please understand, not all priests and bishops think the abuse cases should have been covered up. In fact, most think it was awful what the Church did. I'm not sure the Vatican guidelines matter much, at least in the US. The pressure was already there to revise theit policies in the US, and most diocese have done that.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:45 PM on May. 16, 2011

• so now they have decided to report. do they want a cookie for being decent human beings?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Keepeth thou prick in pants.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:22 PM on May. 18, 2011