How can i keep my size and just tone everything up?

I recently had a baby and I want to tone my body. I was under weight a little and I want to keep the 15 extra lbs but I want to tone everything - just don't want to lose any inches. Any suggestions would be great!

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 2:24 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Strength training.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• limit cardio and do resistance training and weights instead
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• cardio is mainly for the weight loss and VO2. So, I would suggest trying light weights and build your resistance to it as you go. If you want muscle you can add as comfy to you, but to keep your size I wouldn't go too high. Also, if you want to tone your stomach up do crunches say 3 set of 15 a day. Just make sure you are eating enough to balance what you are burning. Too much food=gaining.. Too little food= weight loss! So, if you burned 3500 calories in a day you want to eat 3500 calories..
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree that resistance training is the way to go. Also, keep your caloric intake up. You will need more calories as you build lean body mass, so take in more calories from healthy fats (poly- and monounsaturated, as well as omega-3s) and lean proteins. More beans, legumes, nuts, avocados, things like that. Get some flax into your diet as well as salmon for those healthy omega-3s.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• no cardio. lots of strength training and eating protein.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• So hip hop abs video is probably way to much cardio?
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 3:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Not necessarily. You just need to make sure your calorie intake is enough to counterbalance the cardio you do. Cardio is good for the heart, you just need to make sure you are eating to support the exercise you're doing, whether it's cardio or strength or whatever. You shouldn't NOT do cardio. it's good for you! But make sure you're eating enough, and make sure it's not stuff that's nutrient-free, high in saturated and/or trans fats, or high in sodium. Get more bang for your caloric buck by eating nutrient dense, calorie dense foods, and keep exercising, including your hip hop abs video.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• You can still do your favorite cardio, just don't overdo it, and add in some free weights. Also, pilates and yoga work great for toning.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 8:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• protien, and lots of reps. any muscel activity try a set of 10, 15, 20 then next work out try 13 or 15 and go up by 5 or 10 per rep ie: 15,25,30... long rest is for strength, short rests for cardio
    triciabc21

Answer by triciabc21 at 2:35 PM on May. 17, 2011