When you boil eggs...How do you know when they are done?

Do I wait till they crack? I don't want to over boil them, thanks ladies ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Take them out and spin. if they spin really fast their done. thats what my mom used to tell me.
    team_cornish

Answer by team_cornish at 2:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• How I make hard boiled eggs:

Put a dozen eggs in a pot large enough that they cover the bottom in a single layer. Add enough water to cover the eggs by about an inch. Turn the burner on high. Turn it off when it's under a rolling boil (bubbles reach the surface). Turn off, remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and put in a bowl of ice water.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I just put them in a pot & cover them with water. I wait until the water comes to a boil. Set the timer for 6 minutes. Turn down the heat a smidge (but keep a smooth rolling boil) so they don't bang together & crack & they are hard boiled when the timer goes off.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I put mine in the water before it starts boiling. After the water starts boiling cook for 12 minutes.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I use a small egg shaped device that changes color when the eggs are done. I
    love that thing. It works every time.

plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I live in CO so because of the altitude, it takes longer for eggs to hard boil. The test I use is to take an egg out of the boiling water and if the water evaporates quickly, and the shell turns dry, they're done. I've had it take up to 15 mins for my eggs to cook.
    MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 3:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I usually boil ours for about 12 min. or so.. Just crack one open & check...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Put them in a pan and cover them with COLD water. Bring to a boil. Then either turn the heat down and boil for +/ -15 min or turn the heat off, cover the pan tightly and let it sit for 20 min. Rinse in cold water and refrigerate.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:07 PM on May. 17, 2011