Gay kids

Ok...so I know that many don't believe people are born gay so I know there will be disagreements on this...

But have you known any children that you knew from a very early age that they were gay?

I am not talking about the little boy who plays with dolls when he is young. I am talking about that gut instinct that you just know.

Do you think parents should do anything or intervene somehow? Or just let the kid be?

I have seen some crazy stories on the net and in the news. Apparently there are even programs to "straighten" these kids out.

I remember a little boy when I was little who was just a little to feminine. Now at 34 he has a very nice boyfriend. It was never anything that he did outright. Just a feeling.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:45 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've never known a child to "act gay" or "act straight" they just acted like a child. Nothing more.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• There are people I knew growing up that it's no surprise finding out they were gay, too bad it's usually the good guys though. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Intervening does more harm than good. Kids are who they are, either be a good parent and support them or be a crappy parent and don't.
    Anonymous

• I knew my best friend from 8th grade was bisexual from the second I met her. I can't say why or how, but when she came out to me when we were Freshmen in college, I told her I already knew. She was shocked that I knew and never said anything. She is now married and has two DD's. She still likes both, but just picked a man to marry b/c that's who she fell in love with.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 2:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Why would I fix them if they weren't broken? Gay or straight, they're my kids & I love them as they are.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• no i dont think you should intervene and yes i think they are born that way
    i think some people possibly become that way because of there upbringing also. for example, i have a friend and her brother are both "bisexual" - they brother litterally even had a boyfriend and hes only like 16.. there mother is a sex offender. shes been having sex with my friends friends her whole life, having sex with 14 16 17 year old boys.. the brother is the prodoct of one of her sex offenses. i just think that whole life has made them some sort of nymphomaniacs and crave attention because shes all not much of an attention giver to them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Kids are who they are. I think any attempt to "fix a gay problem" in a kid is likely to backfire in some way - screw the kid up, screw up their relationship with their parents or both.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Just FYI....Not saying I agree at all with trying to "fix" a child. I agree that they are born that way. I just want others opinions.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think some people don't really express that side of their personality or even know it is there until they come of age and start experiencing sexually longing. I think with some other people, you can definitely tell even when they are little. I know a couple boys and a girl that we grew up with that I was absolutely unsurprised that they grew up to be gay. I don't think it would do anything but alienate them from their parents if their parents tried to 'fix' them. If any of my kids turn out to be gay, that's ok and they are my kids and I love them and it doesn't change one thing about my hopes or dreams for them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have always told DH that our nephew is. He isnt sure. He is only 12 now, but I had that feeling when he was like 8. We'll just wait and see. I dont think anyone can change what they are though.
    Anonymous