What age is best???

What is the best age to have the birds and bees talk with your children. My oldest son is 12, I keep telling my husband to and he keeps saying "not yet". Do I just need to do it myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you're way late. I knew about it from school and my parents when I was about 8 or so. I think your son already knows. Talk to him and straighten out the misinformation he as from his friends and the internet.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I learned about it in the school bus at 8. So i think I'll start around that age maybe a bit before. Id rather my child learning about sex in his home where he can access good information then on the bus by some 13 year old trying to be cool.
    TheSugarComa

Answer by TheSugarComa at 2:57 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I dont think there is a perfect age, my DD is almost 4 and we little talks about (age appropriate) like when she asks where babies come from I wont lie to her...but I wont go into details lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• we are going to go ahead with it at age 10 or as soon as she starts her period (if sooner)
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would say 12 is plenty old enough considering there are girls getting pregnant in grade school. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it starts slowly ate the age of around 3.. when u start teaching that is there private area.. then around age 6 or so most start asking questions or see something on tv... by age 12. they know... you just need to give them the good info & set your rules in ur house & stuff like that..
    By age 12 I was learning 1st hand about sex if ya know what i mean!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i don't remember my age i learned at but i was in 5th grade i think that may have been around 8 or 9? i think will also do it at around that time. maybe sooner im not sure yet.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 3:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• When I was in elementary school they showed a video (after getting our parents permission) on safe sex and what not. My parents were pretty open about stuff so I pretty much knew the gist of things early on. It hasn't made me promiscious. If anything I'm pretty conservative and I've always been careful.
    Elise522

Answer by Elise522 at 3:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm thinking back to when I was 12 and I think it's definitely time to have that talk. I wasn't doing anything at 12 myself but I knew kids who were definitely doing some adult things at only 13 so chances are your son knows some people, too. He probably already has quite an education from his friends and it is definitely time to supplement and correct whatever information he has so far. Good luck. If Dad won't do it I think you should- uncomfortable for sure but there are worse things. Like being a Grandma way too early.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• rolling on flooryou really think he doenst know any thing by TWELVE???

You are VERY late.  If hubs wont do you YOU best do it.  I think you are do him a GREAT disservice by waiting sooooooo long to start this conversation.

Anonymous