Puppy question

I have a miniature pinscher and she will not eat dog food. She will only eat the meat that we fix. I need to get her to start eating dog food because I have to have surgery and she is going to be with my parents while I am in the hospital. How can I get her to eat dog food? I know this is probably a dumb question. But she is 4-5 months old so I have never had to deal with stuff like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pets

• Try a high quality MEAT-based dry food. Put her food down twice/day (morning & evening) and leave it for about 20 minutes. If she doesn't eat, pick it up and don't give it back until the next feeding and don't give her anything else (this means no treats, no scraps, nothing but water). A healthy dog will not starve itself. She should get hungry and start eating again in 12-24 hours! When is your surgery/hospital stay? Hopefully it isn't for a few days so you can get her used to eating dog food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If she gets hungry enough, she'll eat it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That's exactly what I was going to say- if she gets hungry enough and realizes that you're not going to give her something else, she'll eat it. Dogs don't have the same kind of tantrum stamina as a 3 year old. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Don't feed her any table food whatsoever, only give her dry food she will get hungry and start eating but no scraps, so she'll wait for it
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 3:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Stop giving her table scraps and dog treats. Put the dog food down for ten minutes and if she does not eat pick the bowl up and give it to her the next meal. increasing the amount of exercise she gets will increase her appetite so that might also help encourage her to eat her food.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:42 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for a HIGH quality (4 or 5 stars) brand.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i have to agree with Momabear... NO table scraps. you could start by using just a little canned food mixed in with the dry food, just not too much canned. then slowly wean off the canned food till she is eating all dry. trust all of us when we tell you, that she will eat when she is hungry.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 3:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with everyone else. Our dog was like that and our vet said she will not let herself starve. When she gets hungry enough and there is no other food, she will eat it. Good luck.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 9:09 PM on May. 16, 2011