Effects of second hand smoke?

We know some people who smoke in the house, but only in the bathroom. There is no vent fan and you can see the smoke coming out from under the door. When they are done, they reek of cigarette smoke. They have a 1 year old and claim that since they are not smoking in front of him he's not getting the effects of second hand smoke. I'm thinking if you can see and smell the smoke he's getting the effects. It's not something I'm going to start with them, but I'm wondering what you all think.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 3:00 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yeah, he is still getting it. if you can smell the smoke in the house while they smoke the toxic crap is in it too
    Anonymous

• Wow...I feel bad for the little boy!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, he is still getting 2nd hand smoke, maybe not as bad as if they were smoking in the same room with him, but if you can smell it in the house then it's in the air. There is also 3rd hand smoke which is the residues that the smoke leaves on your clothes, hands, carpet, etc, and that can all be ingested by babies as well. It's a big problem with carpet because children are down playing on the floor and all those poisonous chemicals are being ingested. Better to smoke outside and wash your hands when you are done. Of course, it's best not to smoke at all.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• IMO, even if they go outside and then get around him he is getting 2nd hand smoke. Alot of parents think as long as they don't do it around the children they are not harming them. Has anyone ever been around a person that smelled like cigarette smoke? Chances are they just put the cigarette out. It's really sad.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:44 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I knew someone like that too, and the smoke still distributes through the house. If a non-smoker walked in their house, they would instantly know they smoked in the house right at the front door.
    Keva1990

Answer by Keva1990 at 3:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If you smoke outside smoke will not cling to your hair or clothing nowhere near as bad, but it will stick to you if you smoke inside and when you walk in a public place you can bet people are thinking you smell like an ash tray. I don't smoke now, but I use to, and I always smoked outside.
    Keva1990

Answer by Keva1990 at 3:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, the baby is still be affected by the 2nd hand smoke. I recently read that 2nd hand smoke can travel 20 feet in every direction.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Of course he will still be affected. Poor kid. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Of course he is still getting the effects. Seeing and smelling the smoke means it's wafting throughout the house. It doesn't help that all the poisons and chemicals in cigs are clinging to their hair , clothes, and skin.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 11:14 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yeah, the child is DEF getting it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:56 AM on May. 17, 2011