Okay my husband is in the Army and we are going to "PCS" to either Italy or Germany....Has anyone out there been there and if so did you like it? Would you recommend it? PLZ HELP! I need to plan ahead! especially money wise if its expensive!!!! THANKS!

..Has anyone out there been there and if so did you like it? Would you recommend it? PLZ HELP! I need to plan ahead! especially money wise if its expensive!!!! THANKS!

MaggsMomofTwins

Asked by MaggsMomofTwins at 1:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Travel

• Germany is beautiful and so is Italy. You should have no problem with that aspect. It is costly to live in those places tho, especially with the euro going up and down all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Haven't been there...but we want to go!

We were most recently stationed in Korea, and the travel opportunities alone make it worth the move.

You will get extra money for the higher cost of living overseas. We had much more money every month when we lived abroad...now that we are back in the US, we have less income, much less:(

Go for it, if you can!
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 4:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Well,if you can get into on post housing, it would be better. I was stationed with my husband at the time in Germany, 3 different tours,and it was expensive back then(in the 80's & 90's)There is so much to see and do, you will absolutely love it if you have adventure in your soul:) Have fun whatever you do.It is expensive, moreso now, but one thing that will help is living on post.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Both of these places are beautiful! I would rather pick Italy though. Surf the Internet and compare money exchanges.
    alishak

Answer by alishak at 4:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I've been to both as well. I loved them both, but differently. I think I prefer Italy, but both are great.
    drdarcmom

Answer by drdarcmom at 11:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I'm In Germany now, I love it. You should definitely learn some German before you come. I know that you can use Rosetta Stone for free if you are military, that should help you learn some German very quickly. traveling here is fun and easy. However, it is expensive here. The Euro is worth almost 2 times what our dollar is worth. You do get tax relief though, which helps. The tax here is 19% and is included in the price. You show a certificate and they take it off for you. Germany is great! i recommend it!
    pixiestix21

Answer by pixiestix21 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• I lived in Ramstein Germany for 6 years. I LOVED IT! Though driving on the autobahn takes alittle getting use too. Italy is beautiful though we only vacationed there once. You have to go to Garmisch. And do Kuenhof outside of Amsterdam during the tulip season. I would go back in a heartbeat. The food is awesome. There is a Legoland outside of Suttgarde. Disneyland Paris. OOOH I could go on and on.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My husband and I just PCSed to Germany a few weeks ago. Its WONDERFUL here! It's a lil tough without a car at first but everyone here wants to help you out. It's a great atmosphere. And don't worry about the money...the Army will give you a BIG travel bonus...I think we got close to $1500 or $2,000 and we didn't even use it! And then when you get here, they give you money back for gas, hotel stays, etc. It's worth the stress of moving across the world :-)
    Bubbleyo21

Answer by Bubbleyo21 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• both beautiful but since i was born in germany and grew up there, i have to go with germany of course :o) don't let our bad history fool you, if you're willing to get out and explore you'll love it there!!! and money wise, well we pay in euro, and that kind of sucks. before i left the euro/dollar rate was really bad if you're income was in dollars, you'd pull out 100euro but it charged you 150dollars. i'm in fort irwin now but from what i can keep up with, it went way down, i think it's about 1,25 now, so about 125dollars will buy you 100euro. BUT the army pays you COLA over there, which is the cost of living overseas allowance. it changes a bit every month, depending on how bad the exchange rate is. if it's really bad, you'll get more cola. it goes by rank and dependants as well, and my husband's is only a sgt and we have two kids and we got a steady 600$ every month...
    any more questions, let me know ;o)
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 11:52 PM on May. 14, 2009

• Germany is amazing. My husband is stationed here in Mannheim so we are here for 3 years. It is absolutely beautiful. We live on post so we save alot of money and travel as much as we can. The castles are my favorite and they are awesome.
    amylovesnick07

Answer by amylovesnick07 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009