Let's talk about passing judgment and being judged.

Answer only the questions you wish to answer, and elaborate on any items you care to elaborate on, but please be honest (with us and with yourself) when answering. If you can't be honest, please just skip this question.

Also, when I say "beliefs" in the questions below, I mean for this to include whatever your religious/spiritual belief (or lack of belief) may be.  I'm not focusing on any one religion, so if the question isn't quite phrased to fit your situation, just adjust it as you see fit in your answer.  

Do you judge people based on their beliefs regardless of their actions? 
For example, if all you know about two people is their beliefs, and that they both did an identical good deed (eg. helped someone change a flat tire), would you be more inclined to feel that the one who shares the same belief as you is a "better person" than the one who believes something different?

Do you take a person's beliefs into consideration when judging their actions?

For example, if a person swears while speaking, and their religion forbids it, would you judge that person more harshly than a person whose belief system says nothing about it one way or another?  Does it make a difference if that person claims to follow the same beliefs as you?

How do you feel about being judged by others based solely on your beliefs?
Does it make a difference if the judgment is made by someone who fully understands your beliefs/religion versus someone who holds incorrect preconceived ideas about it?

How do you feel about being judged by others based on your actions?
Assume they passed judgment without knowing your beliefs.  How would you feel if their opinion of you changed (for better or worse) for no other reason than they discovered what system of belief you follow?

Does a person's opinion of you matter more or less to you if they share your system of belief; if they hold different (or even opposing beliefs); if their beliefs are unknown to you?

As I said above... be honest.  Your religion may say it's wrong to pass judgment on others, but everyone does it in one form or another, so don't even try to say that you "never judge others".  It may be as simple as the first impression a person makes, or as complex as the opinion you have formed of someone you have known for years, but it's still a type of judgment you have made of another person. 

Also I'd rather not have this turn into a big debate over semantics between words like "opinion", "judgment", "impression", etc.  So if you insist on tring to say something like: "Of course I naturally form opinions of others, but I would never judge anyone", just consider your answer already down-voted and dismissed as irrelevant to this discussion. 

Eek_a_Geek

Asked by Eek_a_Geek at 3:16 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• WTF are you like the posting police or something? You are posting about judgement and personal beliefs, there will always be debate. And until you pay to be on this website ANYONE can answer. And who gives a flying sam hell shit if you vote me down? Really? Am I going to have to pay more taxes?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• How do you feel about being judged by others based solely on your beliefs?

I expect it. As a Christian I'm called to spread the Gospel of Christ (and if I need to I should use words ;-). Scripture says that we are known by our works. It also says that Christians are the "salt of the earth." Salt is used as a preservative and therefore, Christians through there works which are commanded by Christ, are said to be what preserves the earth. Do I feel positively or negatively about it? I guess it depends on whether or not I'm acting like Christ or not. If I'm acting like Christ (through the power of the Spirit) then I have a positive feeling about it (even if I'm being mocked by the world), but if I am acting against Christ (through my own power) then I have a negative feeling about (even if I'm being praised by the world).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• 1) Regarding good deeds, I don't care if the person has no belief system at all, a good deed is a good deed. :)

2) If their belief forbids foul language, and I'm aware of this, I will believe them to be hypocritical. Anything they say after that will be heard carefully... However, I don't know of any religions that specifically forbid foul language... Or any that define it.

3) If someone knows little of my beliefs and judges them incorrectly, it DOES bother me. If you have your facts straight, and still disagree, fine. No problem with that. :)

4) Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks of me either way.

5) Again, I don't care about other people's opinions...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

• (For the record, Christianity doesn't say to not make judgement calls about people, it says that we shouldn't judge the souls of people. In other words, I can't say that one is going to hell or heaven. THAT judgement is reserved for Christ on Judgement day. But we are allowed to make judgements about the character of a person based on their actions.)
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Hmm. Well, first I'll tackle how I feel about being judged by others. Mostly I don't really care. For example I have been with my DH for 13+ years and we are not legally married. Obviously there are people out there who have their own opinions, or judgments, about this and I don't really care what they think, and I don't care if they think that based on their religious beliefs or whatever. My situation works for me, I am happy and my DH is happy and so people can think whatever they want of us. Doesn't bother me.
    As far as how I judge others, which of course I do although I am trying to be better about this, I will say that I do judge people based on their beliefs. I have an aunt and uncle who I love and they can be very fun and funny, but they are very conservative and I think less of them for their feelings regarding homosexuals, for example. They can be good people but they don't have good beliefs (in my opinion).
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:28 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I understand where this is coming. There are many who will judge the person ie "you're going to Hell in a hand basket because you don't believe as I do" yes there are many who truly believe this because it's what they've been taught. Now Do i judge them/ no i judge their teachers as they are taking their congregations down a very dangerous path. On the other hand I'm not judging the person but their action. As we cannot know what the Father will or will not forgive, as culpability comes into play. So yes I judge the actions of Christians a little more harshly then I do those who aren't. I even judge Catholics actions even more harshly then I do non Catholics as we are suppose to know better then others. When I judge the actions I then do my best to correct them as gently as I can. For this what we are suppose to do. Much like the difference between an adult, a teenager and a small child. cont.
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

Being LDS, there are lot of bizarre ideas floating around out there about my faith, I know most folks just don't really know better when they say funny things about my faith, so I don't get all huffy and offended. I just try to politely clarify what is official doctrines and what isn't.

...but yes, when it's coming from the occasional person that really does know better, it hurts more...because it seems more deliberate and mean-spirited.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:31 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Cont. An adult should know better then a teenager and a teenager should know better then a child. Which is why socially we expect more out of Adults etc. in many different situations.
    daps

Answer by daps at 3:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Do you judge people based on their beliefs regardless of their actions? NO! A person is not always defined by their religion and even so MOST religions have some sort of statement/doctrine/rule focusing on the value of helping/serving one another and being kind

Do you take a person's beliefs into consideration when judging their actions?I may see it as somewhat hypocritical so I guess that is a kind of judging... but more trying to 'judge' validation of their claim the we are of the same core faith than I am their character.

Does a person's opinion of you matter more or less to you if they share your system of belief; if they hold different (or even opposing beliefs); if their beliefs are unknown to you? No. Whether or not a person likes or dislikes me is irrelevant to me whether we share the same core beliefs or not.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Do you judge people based on their beliefs regardless of their actions? No a good deed or bad is the same no matter what your beliefs are to me.
    Do you take a person's beliefs into consideration when judging their actions? I do only when the person potrays how perfect they are.
    How do you feel about being judged by others based solely on your beliefs? It bothers me because im not perfect nor do i believe everything my religion teaches so even if most agree lets say swearing is wrong i may not.
    How do you feel about being judged by others based on your actions? It would bother me because im not perfect and when i mess up its compleatly without me even thinking i dont hurt people on purpose or do "bad" things to hurt someone.
    cont
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 3:34 PM on May. 16, 2011