Baby's cord site

Her cord fell off when my husband accidentally tugged on it when changing a diaper.... the doc said if it wasn't leaking anything than it was fine.... well for a couple days now it is like a scab that won't completely heal, is this something I should be worried about? A nurse I spoke with said to put alcohol on it to dry it up but i am affraid it will hurt her since it's still leaving dried blood marks on her diaper sometimes

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it isn't stinky I wouldn't worry to much. Keep it exposed tot he air as much as possible. If you see puss or notice a sour smell then take he rin to be checked. My DD's cord got infected. they had to clean it up with betadine (sp) and send home a creams to use on it. I was to not to use alcohol form the hospital but once it was infected I did. She never cried but she did jump a little, after all it's cold!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The scab can take quite a few days to heal. I would use the alcohol wipes on it but that is just me.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Not to be gross but does it smell?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She is sleeping right now so I don't want to check but I have not noticed any smell so far
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My DS cord came off a little early too. We used alcohol on it per the dr. and we had no issue (he didn't even wince). Good luck!
    karesmile

Answer by karesmile at 4:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd just leave it alone, unless it's oozing or smells. In either of those cases, I would bring her to show the doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:14 PM on May. 16, 2011