Bars for couples?

Ok, I want everyone's opinion on this. My BFF goes to bars on the weekends with her fairly new boyfriend (About 3 months). They keep getting into fights about getting hit on, getting too drunk, etc. My question is, it is possible to couples, long term or short term, to go to bars together alot without it causing problems?

siera_lyn

Asked by siera_lyn at 3:23 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• NO! once you are in a relationship going to bars, clubs etc is nothing but trouble waiting to happen..after all why would you want to be in places like that if you are with someone you love and want to be with..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I know a lot of couples who frequent bars together. I'm a bartender and I see it all the time.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well, I have been with DH for 13 years and we go to bars to socialize and have never had a fight about other people hitting on us or anything like that. We go to bars that serve food and have pool tables, etc, though, we don't go to dance clubs so maybe the scene there is a little different. We've had fights about drinking too much but that's not a bar thing only, there have been house parties that happened at, too. (This is mostly in our younger days, for the record). Anyway, I think if you're the sort of couple prone to fighting about these things then it's going to happen whether you go to bars, or the movies, or the mall.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have went to bars with my boyfriend lots of times. Why should you not go to bars when you're in a relationship? You're not allowed to have fun anymore or what? I think the problems stem from insecurities & jealousies that would rear their head no matter where the couple was. Saying "I can't go to a bar with my boyfriend or we'll fight" is really saying "I'm too insecure in my relationship and if I see a girl look at him it must mean he wants to do her and I can't handle the pressure so I really would just rather sit at home like we're 87 years old so that neither of us has to deal with the issue".
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Heh MaryMW said it more politically correct than I did.
    EgoTryptophan

• My husband and I love to go out dancing together...we always have a BLAST ripping up the dance floor!
    :)
    jennbeer

Answer by jennbeer at 3:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sure, we go to bars all the time. No problems here.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That's what I thought, thank you for all of the comments. I used to go to bars with my SO before kids when we actually had free time, and we never argued once. I thought maybe we were an exception but guess not :)
    siera_lyn

Comment by siera_lyn (original poster) at 3:38 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I wouldn't say that we go to bars alot. But we do go out to them once and awhile and there are not issues with getting hit on or arguing. We go to have fun and get out sometimes we will meet up with people and sometimes it is just the two of us. It sounds more like a problem with your friends relationship and not the bars.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Hubs and I have been to many many many bars as a couple.... never had an issue in 20+ years
    Anonymous