Headstart question

did a walk through a headstart today.. an when i went into one of the classrooms there were two teachers an each sittin at a different table with some kids doing a colorin project... when i came n one of the teachers were on her cell phone talkin an when she saw me she hung up the phone an put it down her shirt n bra.... how would u feel about this? an another thing is there was one white kid n the whole class. matter of fact thats the only one i saw in the whole school teachers an staff. i hate how that sounds i dnt mean it n anyway just dnt want my child to feel out of place or miss treated...what u think no bashin please im not try to b any way just want the best for my child an cant afford to spend alot on school an this school goes by income

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Head Start is mostly income based. If your in an area where there are more non-white low income children then that is what will be in HS. My daughter went to HS for a few months, the teachers tried their hardest but, the parents didn't care so the kids continued their behavior. If you can afford private preschool or you can forgo HS, then don't deal with them. It is unfair for the children that are actually there to learn and have fun because the teachers spend all their time with the children/parents that can't behave.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Just like any program, some are good, others aren't, the rest are average. My mom is on the board of directors of an exceptional one in my hometown. Forget the race issue-- other than the teacher talking on the phone, what was your impression of the school? What was the student/teacher ratio? Did they talk about curriculum, classroom goals, and school accredidation? Were the teachers enthusiastic? The kids engaged? These are the kinds of things you'll want to think about when assessing the school.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:45 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Based upon your statements, which are the things that stuck out in your mind, you will NOT be happy having your child there. I would seek an alternative -- If, due to income, you can't afford another option, do it at home. Personally, I wouldn't leave my child where she is in the minority and where you were so unimpressed with the teachers.
    Anonymous