Bad Puppy

I have a 9 month old beagle puppy that keeps pooping in her crate at night. We let her out around 10 befor we go to bed then again at 430 when my husband gets home. She doesn't bark or whine when she has to go. What do I do????

2prettylittle1s

Asked by 2prettylittle1s at 3:46 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pets

• That could be your problem (free-feeding). It will help to put the puppy on a feeding schedule. A 9 month old puppy should be eating twice/day (morning & night). Just look on the bag of food and divide the daily feeding amount into two feedings. Also, get her on a potty schedule. Take her out about every 30 minutes or so during the day, or after eating/drinking, playing, napping, before bed, and first thing in the morning.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• What is her feeding schedule? Can you adjust that so she gets all the poop out before she's locked up?

How big is the crate in comparison to the dog? If it's too big she'll poop in it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The crate may be too big. It should only be big enough for her to stand and turn around. If it is too big, try to somehow make it smaller or if you can buy/borrow a smaller one, do that.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thanks I'll look into that! She eats whenever I always have food and water down for her. She does go potty before bed, but must save some because she goes again!
    2prettylittle1s

Comment by 2prettylittle1s (original poster) at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have beagles and u need to let them out everytime they eat and drink. It will catch on. U need to be consistent.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Free feeding is part of the problem. She should be on a schedule but you should at least take the food and water away at 5-6PM. Take her out after she eats and then again before bed and make sure her kennel is not too big. She should only have enough room to stand up and turn around.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:39 PM on May. 16, 2011