"Sweetie" "Honey" "Darling"

I always see here in the answers women calling the OP things like "sweetie" "honey" "darling" "hun" etc. I see it as the poster trying to raise themselves up as more of a parent figure toward the OP trying to sound more mature and caring than they really are. Anyone else find it condescending?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• What is OP?
    spagirl0426

Answer by spagirl0426 at 3:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I live in Ga so I just find it Southern or 'old lady' lol. I HATE being called Hun or sweetie by a waitress but it is VERY common here. I guess I am used to it as common place and not condescending.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have noticed it, but I generally just think the person who calls other's that is older or grandmotherly. lol.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It depends on my mood. I've never really been a fan of it, but I'm very much less of a fan if I'm in a bad mood. LOL

BTW...spagirl0426, OP is Original Poster
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree But Mommie it is common in the south. You hear hun, sweatie, sweatheart all the time. I guess it depends on where you live. I'm really used to it so it reallly doesn't bother me.
    spagirl0426

Answer by spagirl0426 at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• LMAO. I'm from the south... We refer to EVERYONE as those names. :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• On here, yes, but in person no. I have a bad habit of calling people sweetie, honey, ect. Its a term of endearment for me though. It might just be a southern thing.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• GA born here I call everyone "Hun" it's natural and normal.. it is like everyone else say "hey you" or "dude" I don't mean anything by it other than it just being part of my natural language and what everyone around me called eachother other than Mam or Sir... which seems way too formal here!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have worked in the public so long I call everyone Honey or Sweets! It's just better than saying HEY YOU!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2011