Can anyone offer any help with potty training? I am all ears for ideas.

sadiesmom519

Asked by sadiesmom519 at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ask the child every 30 minute sif they need to go and take them once an hour to try keep it positive and never be negative about accidents
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son HAD to have "privacy". We also took him to pick out his favorite big boy (Cars) undies and told him that Lightning McQueen didn't like to be pottied on :(
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 4:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Mine were not ready in the 1 to 2 year range. My best advice would be to wait until they are really ready and not to push them because they will push back.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son was the MOST STUBBORN child ever. lol

What worked? We finally put him back in diapers and let him know that they were baby diapers for baby boys. Since he knew I was pregnant he wanted to be a BIG boy and this was VERY important to him. If you have an independent child like mine that wants to be a "big kid" this just may work.

Once he was potty trained he had a week where he was having all kinds of accidents. So I put a "potty jar" in the bathroom. Every time he peed his pants he had to put $1 in the jar from his piggy bank and $2 if he pooped his pants. He had ONE accident after that and has been potty trained ever since. :)

Good luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• With DS we pushed and it took forever and a lot of frustration on both sides.
    With DD we allowed it to be somewhat child led. When she showed interest we got her a potty and talked about what it was for. We got books and watched shows and talked about it a lot. She was praised when she decided to 'go' and not punished when she didn't. Sometimes she would be potty trained today but not tomorrow. When she got to where on her own she was 90% we offered to let her wear panties but she had to keep them dry. The diapers were all gone. (we did diapers til this day) She was 99% from that day on we do pull-ups at night 'night time panties' as she knows them We didn't want to put diapers back into the picture. This was about a month before age 3.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• BTW my son was over 3 years old before he was fully trained. He just wasn't ready before then and I'm not sure why. It seemed to just click then and my doctor told me that is really not uncommon for kiddos to be closer to 3 than 2 before fully training since some of them simply don't have the bladder control.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• With my son we started last month when he would come to me and tell me he peed in his diaper or if he pooped he would rip the diaper off....so that was our que to start pottying training. I just began taking him to the potty and telling him we are gonna try to pee and I would set the timer on the stove so he would know it was time. It made it a fun game like experience. Once i saw that he wasn't needing to go every 15 min i would increase the time by 5 and see how long we could wait. I just talked to him about how important it was to try to keep his big boy underwear dry. It took almost a month before he began to actually just tell me he had to go pee pee. And sometimes I still just have to watch him b/c he will do the "potty dance" and not go unless told to. He is just about fully trained now :) and we are fixing to start night training soon! :) Good luck! *oh and we also did the treat system peeing 1 treat pooping 2 treats*
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:39 AM on May. 17, 2011