How should i discipline my 10 yr old?

My ten yr old is so disrespectful and defiant. I ask her to do something, she crosses her arms and says no. She is almost as big as me so trying to spank her is out of the question. I have no way at all to make her do something she has turned into this girl I don't know! She even goes as far as to hit me! I have grounded her, took things away from her and still nothing works please help. My younger children are starting to act like her.

jenspenc

Asked by jenspenc at 4:01 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• take away her favorite thing whether it's video games,ipod,cellphone,toys what have you and don't give them back until the attitude stops
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 4:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• take everything she owns away, leave her a matress on the floor, and she has to earn everything back, even her door. Don't waiver either.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• What kinds of things are you asking her do do? I don't think there is a one-size-fits all punishment. I'd approach each situation individually.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The biggest thing is to NOT fight with her, fighting gives her what she wants.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The main things I ask her to do is take a shower, do your chores, clean your room and all I get is attitude. Good I sea about making her earn her things back. I really just want her to know that it is NOT ok to disrespect me or ever put her hand on me.
    jenspenc

Comment by jenspenc (original poster) at 4:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If it has gotten that bad then maybe taking away all those things might work. Go over what is expected when you ask things of her so it is absolutely clear what she has to do..
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Seek help with the specific situation with a counselor/child therapist. What is going on may be more complex than just needing a handy punishment. Find out and mend it befor she hits 13.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:40 AM on May. 17, 2011